Friday, June 18, 2021

Your Weekend Movie Guide for June 2021

 

Well, the long nightmare is over.   I have officially entered into a movie theater for the first time since early March 2020.  Ideally, I would have liked my triumphant return to be at the Arclight, but, alas alack, it is up for sale and not open at this time.  Finger crossed.   

Instead, I have been to the nearby Landmark complex.  But, sadly, that place has also featured a casualty.   The cool restaurant in the lobby is gone...a victim of COVID.  I guess we can never have nice things ever again.   But, nevertheless, there are movies playing and opening.   We carry on.  You know the drill, folks?  I'll sift through the LA Times movie page and give you my gut reaction to what is out at those theaters which are still open.   

Let's hope for the best.

In The Heights:   A screen adaptation of a Broadway Tony winner.   It's showing in theaters and on HBO Max.   It's a musical.  Enjoy it in the theater.

Queen Bees:  Blog review coming.  I saw it on one of my initial theater visitations.   The kind of entertainment that is light, airy, and sometimes just what the doctor ordered.

A Quiet Place - Part 2:  Reviewed here the other day.  A worthy sequel.

Cruella:  A Disney movie that is almost two and a half hours long and not designed for kids.  Huh?   It stars Emma Stone who I generally like, but the length is scaring me.

The Conjuring - The Devil Made Me Do It:   Isn't that a line from the act of Flip Wilson when he was playing Geraldine.

The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard:   Too many possessives in one title.

All Light, Everywhere:  A documentary on bias and police video cams.   So we can assume this is biased, too?

Dream Horse:  Secretariat Goes to Wales.  Or something like that.

The Dry:   A guy goes back to his hometown to solve the old mystery of a teenage girl.   The only name in the cast is Eric Bana and that is barely a name itself.

Peter Rabbit 2 - The Runaway:  You might have to stream Peter Rabbit 1 first.

Crack House of the Dead:   Congress?

The Sparks Brothers:   I saw a trailer for this documentary about these musicians and I was stumped.  I had never heard of them.

Rita Moreno - Just A Girl Who Decided to Go For It:  A documentary about...come on, gangs...don't be stupid now.

A Crime on the Bayou:  White supremacists in 1960's Louisiana.   As if we needed another reminder of why we are all so evil.

Finding Ophelia:  This better not have anything to do with "Hamlet" because I hated when we read that in the 12th grade.

Luca:  A cartoon about a boy and his sea monster.   Isn't that Beany and Cecil?  I believe it's from Pixar.  Yawn.

Truman and Tennessee:  A documentary about authors Truman Capote and Tennessee Williams and you probably couldn't find two more fucked up people.

Summer of '85:  French love back in the day.  A young guy and a young girl find over another guy.   Well, it is 1985.

Siberia:   I'd like to send a few people there.   Not to the theater...the country.

Take Back:  A woman looks for her kidnapped daughter and we have seen that story perhaps a gazillion times.

Dinner last night:  Taylor ham and cheese omelet.

No comments: