Tuesday, September 6, 2022

The Hollywood Bowl Requires Hard Work

 

And I don't mean for the performers or musicians.   This glorious venue, in its 100th year, is winding down another electric summer.   Electric for everybody but those of us who are ADA-compliant.

The nightmares of Hollywood Bowl stacked parking are legend.   Then you would have the long walk up the hill to the entrance gate.  It got to be torturous for me.

But then I got my trusty blue ADA placard and, while it was still stacked parking, I got to bypass the long walk by parking up at the very top of the hill.  Pure nirvana.

And that's how it worked for several years.   I'd actually buy my reserved ADA space when I was purchasing my Bowl events for the summer.

Until last year.   I guess after a COVID-shut season, the Bowl got to spend some time and think about how next they could fuck their patrons.   Suddenly, I couldn't buy ADA parking in advance.  But if I got to the Bowl two hours or so before showtime, I wouldn't have a problem.

And in 2021, I really didn't.  The spaces were a little less optimum but I did get some privilege with my blue placard.

2022 was, however, much different.   Suddenly, regardless of your early arrival time, the top of the hill parking was not available.   We were shoved into another lot at the bottom of the hill.   Awaiting my arrival was a steep hill, several flights of stairs, and lots of parked cars to navigate.

To make matters worse, the stacked parking was so tight that, on one night, I couldn't even open my driver's side car door.   Handicapped and then prompted to do numerous contortions to get behind the wheel.

On my trip there last Saturday night, I was again directed to the lower lot.   But I decided to ask one of the neanderthals on staff why I had to park in another hemisphere given my ADA compliance.   Why about the top of the hill?

"Do you have a wheelchair?"

Oh!!!!!!  So there are varying degrees of handicapped.  I get it.

After climbing to the top of the hill with my walking stick, I peered into the parking area there.   Probably about five or six cars.

D'oh!

By the way, if you think I'm simply going to get this off my chest in my blog entry, you're mistaken.

On Tuesday, it will be..

Hello, Hollywood Bowl Accessibility Access office?

Dinner last night:  Steak at Yamashiro.