Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Another Documentary That Educates

As I have frequently stated here, I don't read enough.   And, as a result, I don't think I am continually learning as much as I should be.

I'd be a complete melon head were it not for movie documentaries, which are better than ever and frequently an education for me.  Such is the case with "What Happened, Miss Simone?"  I knew nothing about the subject matter, which is legendary blues and jazz singer Nina Simone.  Nada.  Zilch.  Zero.

And now I do.

Truth be told, I had little information before hand about Nina Simone.   I knew she was some jazz musician in the 60s.  Had I ever heard her perform?  Nope. Do I ever remember seeing her on TV?  Nope.  Do I even know what she sounds like?  Nope.

After seeing this documentary by film maker Liz Garbus, I can tell you that Miss Simone's style of music is not my taste.  You get plenty of her vocal stylings in this film.   And none of it resonated with me.  Oh, I suppose, she had a great voice.   But the music was...well...forgettable for me.

Not so, however, the story of her life, which is captivating, chilling, and even horrifying at times.  

As I learn, Nina Simone was hotter than blazes in the late 50s and early 60s, first as a classical pianist and then a blues singer.   Playing every venue from the Newport Jazz Festival to Carnegie Hall.  On the road constantly as dictated by her manager-husband.   When not performing, she was becoming a mother and living in my hometown of Mount Vernon, New York.

But, as the 60s turned into turmoil, Simone got sucked into the civil rights movement and, as a result, lost her way as a performer.  As one of the more violent and angry dissenters, her music takes a nasty and deadly detour.  She frequently talks and sings of "killing all the white people."  Her husband and daughter are lost in their dealings with her.   At one point, Simone inexplicably abandons both and moves to Africa.  

Indeed, as the film unfolds in its linear fashion, you realize that something is just not right with Nina Simone.  

Both her husband and daughter are willing interviewees for this film.   Recordings of Nina's recollections reveal that she may have been a punching bag for her husband.  At the same time, her daughter reveals her own grizzly story of beatings by her mother.  I give both these folks major props for being open to discussing this horrible tale.  

Ultimately, you learn that Nina Simone was manic-depressive and bi-polar. Duh.  At the same time, the film maker here does a wonderful job of showing us a complex, angry, and very bitter individual.   She may have been talented, but she was equally tormented.  

From everything I saw in this movie about Nina Simone, I certainly would not have been a fan.  I didn't like her music.  I didn't like her demeanor.  I found her completely unattractive.   

But, at least now, I do something about her.  So, documentary gods, mission accomplished.   

Consider me a little bit more educated.

LEN'S RATING:  Three stars.

Dinner last night:  Had a big lunch, so just a cold salad plate.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Me and Kevin love her music. Will be sure to play it next time you're over. 😉

Len said...

I'll give you a dollar if you promise not to play it next time I'm over.