Tuesday, January 26, 2021

And The Pandemic Film Parade Continues

 

This year's Oscar buzz is like no other year.   The only way to see the films is through streaming services.  It removes the communal enjoyment of good cinematic work and ultimately neuters the success of the movies.   In most cases, the only way to truly enjoy see them is on a big screen.   When you're at home and the sofa is comfy.....ZZZZZZZzzzzz.

Oddly enough, as I watch a movie a night, I have found a remarkable trend at work.   When I am viewing a classic from my DVD collection or via TCM, I am wide awake and alert.   When it's a new film that is being streamed...well, see above.

ZZZZZZZzzzzz.

Go figure.

I have struggled with most of the Oscar buzz flicks and "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" was no different.   Would I have liked it more at the Arclight than in my own living room?   I have no clue.   What hampers this movie even further is that it's based on a Broadway play and is incredibly cornered onto that small screen...hopelessly stage bound.  It feels terribly claustrophobic and not in a way that is intended.

You know what that means.   Hit the rewind button because you miss multiple scenes.

This is based on a true story or so it tells us.  Ma Rainey was the front of a jazz band circa Chicago 1927.   This is a recording studio and she is feuding with her White managers so she is late.   That leaves the musicians to kill time by talking.  And talking.  And talking.   The horn player particularly is a powder keg and he is played by the late Chadwick Boseman.   He'll probably get a sympathy Oscar here but that's really unfair as the work is good.   He also looks ill with a gaunt face and a raspy voice.   One wonders if he knew this would be his final screen legacy.

Anyway, Ma finally shows up in the frightening ghoulish appearance of Viola Davis who is also a favorite for an Oscar.  The look was probably not her choice as photos illustrate that the real Ma Rainey was equally as scary looking.  Her main thrust in the movie is to fight with the stereotypical White villains.  Indeed, for a film about a jazz band, there is an amazing lack of jazz music heard.   

For me, the film was okay but I still think about how I would have reacted if I had seen it the way a movie should be seen.   While eating some caramel popcorn at the Arclight and telling the idiot behind me to stop talking.

Ah, the good old days.

LEN'S RATING:  Three stars.

Dinner last night:  Leftover Chinese food.


No comments: