Thursday, March 17, 2022

Len's Recipe of the Month - March 2022

 

I have a bone to pick.  Literally.

This recipe journey began at Christmas time.   I had ordered a nice ham for my friends.  Except Comic Con or Omircon or whatever cancelled my holiday dinner plans.  Said ham went back into the freezer for another time and I whipped it up for a Christmas dinner in March.  

Following me so far?

Well, when you get a ham, you often get a bone.   Pigs are funny that way.   I had this leftover ham bone and, all of a sudden, my mind drifted back to my childhood.  When a holiday ham bone in the hands of my grandmother miraculously became the basis for split pea soup.

Hmmm?   Could I?

I did.  Thanks to a handy recipe in my America's Test Kitchen cookbook.   And I was so easy thanks to my Le Creuset dutch oven.

Hopefully, my ham bone still has a little meat on it.  I filled the dutch oven with water about two/thirds of the way full.   I got it boiling and then placed the ham bone in the bath.   I lowered the heat to a simmer and then did something else for three hours.

I removed the ham bone and carefully shredded whatever lean meat was still attached.  I also skimmed whatever fat was on top of the stock.  I chucked the bone into the trash and worked on the other ingredients.

In a place with some EVO, I cooked up the following:

One medium onion chopped.

Five leeks chopped.

Three carrots chopped.

Some rosemary.

Some thyme.

After five minutes, I put them into the stock that I had created all by myself.  I put the shredded meat into the dutch oven.   

I sliced up about fifteen fingerling potatoes into three pieces each.   In they went with everything else. 

I added my own secret touch...three squirts of Maggi flavor enhancer.   And then I walked away for another three hours so it could simmer.

I am told this was quite tasty.   I never trust myself the first time I conjure up something new in the kitchen.   But this worked out well.

But you do need a bone.  Next stop?   I might try some homemade chicken soup.

Dinner last night:  Chicken noodle soup.

 


No comments: