Thursday, April 21, 2022

Out of Nowhere

 

In 2022, you find out about movies in the oddest places.   For instance, I knew nothing about "As They Made Us" until a sponsored ad popped up on my Facebook page.   Okay, there were some immediate draws.   Dustin Hoffman.   Old friend Candice Bergen.   And, most interestingly, the film was written and directed by Mayim Bialik who I will credit for being the sole reason "The Big Bang Theory" lasted as long as it did.

I'm in.   I clicked to find out that it had a release in about ten theaters nationwide.   Oh, but you can rent it for seven bucks on Amazon Prime.   For all of the above reasons, I thought it was worth the rental fee.

Now, through all this, I had no idea what this movie was about.   I incorrectly assumed it was a comedy.   Hardly.  This is one serious film.   All about saying goodbye to a parent who is dying.

Whew.

That said, this one is a tough one to watch and you have to be in the mood for such grim realities.   It's a dysfunctional family drama featuring Dad on his last days, a difficult and borderline psychotic mother, an estranged son, and the daughter who finds herself in the role of dealing with all of the above.

Indeed, despite the subject matter, haven't we all been there?  And do you necessarily want to revisit it?

I am guessing writer/director/producer Mayim lived through the very scenario depicted in her film.   It screams "autobiographical."   The emotions are very personal.   The stark revelations of the plot are likely very close to her heart.   I give her major props not only for putting this all on screen, but also getting the money to have it made at all.

That's my nice way of saying the film has some problems.   It moves extremely slow.   You find few reasons to like some of the characters.   And like most current movies, the lighting which is meant to be stylish is awful.   

But the acting from all is superb, especially from Hoffman, Bergen, and Mayim's Big Bang buddy Simon Helberg.   And again I salute her for getting this all done.  It will be interesting to see how her career behind the camera transforms when she runs out of her own life's events.

"As They Made Us" is not for everybody.   And you certainly need to time your viewing because it is a downer.  Yet, I was happy to come across it.   And know that sometimes you can trust what you read on your Facebook page.

LEN'S RATING:  Three stars.

Dinner last night:  Salad.



No comments: