Thursday, November 17, 2022

Len's Recipe of the Month - November 2022

 

What?  Wait!  It's November and that doesn't look like turkey.

It's not.  Deal with it.

So here's how you improvise.   Several weeks ago, I got it into my head that I wanted to make pot roast.  I go to the super market and my first stop is the veggie section.   And here's what I needed for my pot roast.

2 carrots.

1 onion.

1 pound of Yukon Gold potatoes.

2 stalks of celery.

And then I head over to the meat department for the requisite two to three pounds of chuck roast.

Except they didn't have any.

Now I didn't want to go through the hassle of returning all the veggies.   And I discovered that the store did indeed 1 1/2 pound packages of short ribs with the bone intact.  I never had cooked them before but how different could it be?  

And I wound up with a delicious stew.

So chop and slice all the veggies above.

Salt your short ribs and, in a Dutch oven heated with some EVO, brown them on all sides.   Remove to a plate.

Toss in the carrots, the celery, and the onion.   Let that get happy for about five minutes over medium heat.

Throw in two tablespoons of tomato paste, one cup of red wine, and two cups of beef broth.   Return the meat to the pot.   Place in a pre-heated oven for about two hours at 300 degrees.

Add the potatoes and return to the oven for another hour.

Add a bag of frozen peas and then let this all come together for about twenty minutes.

Serve.   Enjoy.   And remember what you can do if the super market is missing one of your needed ingredients.

Dinner last night:  Grilled Taylor Ham on pretzel bun.


No comments: