Thursday, April 13, 2023

Len's Recipe of the Month - April 2023

 

This month's recipe is proof positive that this old dog...me...can be taught a new trick.

Okay, so the photo looks like an ordinary plate of spaghetti in red sauce.   Aha. But it is the red sauce...or gravy...that is the star here.   Because I learned all about the late Marcella Hazan's three ingredient pasta sauce.

For those not in the know like I was, Marcella Hazan was to Italian cooking what Julia Child was to French cooking.  Indeed, when you look at her recipes, you figure that it's the butter that ultimately killed her.  And, yes, butter is one of the three ingredients in this sauce.

I learned about this second-hand from a YouTube channel I follow called "Sip and Feast."   He introduced me to this recipe with one small spin on one of the ingredients.   I opted for his version and the result was the best red sauce I have ever tasted.   Better than stuff I made on my own.   And, once you try it, you will never ever open a jar again.

Here goes and if you blink, you will miss it.

Take a large pan or...even better...a Dutch oven.  Put one 4-oz stick of unsalted butter in there and let it slowly melt.

Now Marcella next quarters an onion and places it in for flavor.  She removes the quarters at the end.  But, Jim the YouTube guy dices one onion and leaves it in for the whole ride.  I chose this route and the results were great.

So once the onion pieces get translucent, you add a 28-0z can of plum or crushed tomatoes.   Use Cento...they are the best.

Cover and let it simmer for an hour or two.  You will be amazed how good this is.

With three freakin' ingredients.

Buon appetit.

Dinner last night:  Salami and cheese crackers at the Geffen.

No comments: