Tuesday, April 11, 2023

The Blur of the 80s

 

Watching the new documentary "Pretty Baby - Brooke Shields" on Hulu, I was struck by how much I don't remember about Brooke Shields.   I mean, I was around for the 80s.   How the hell did I miss all of what was new information to me in this film?

Okay, I knew who she was.   A young model guided by her mother into doing films with nudity.   And I vaguely remember seeing "The Blue Lagoon."  But, everything else was a blur.

I did not know that she had a relationship with Michael Jackson who wanted to have a baby with her.

I did not know that she lost her virginity at Princeton to none other than Dean "Superman" Cain.

I did not know that she had to initiate several interventions with her alcoholic mom.

I did not know that she fell under the Svengali-like spell of tennis star Andre Agassi whom she later married and divorced.

I only vaguely remember her sitcom "Suddenly Susan" which apparently had her falling down a lot.

I did not know about her apparently well-publicized bout with post partum depression after the birth of her first child.

I did not know that the aforementioned depression resulted in a nasty public feud with Tom Cruise.

To think that I knew none of this is the mark of a good documentary.  Or maybe I just didn't care enough at the time to pay attention.  Regardless, I was captivated by Brooke's story.   I was even more gratified to see her at the end of the film, having a very family-like discussion at the kitchen table with her longtime husband and two daughters.

You might argue that Brooke publicly going into all this detail is just attention-getting.   But I would say that the ultimate goal of the film is achieved.   To show that somebody like her survived.  Providing hope that others can as well.

Check it out.   And see how much you remember.

LEN'S RATING:  Three stars.

Dinner last night:  Hamburger.

No comments: