Thursday, January 11, 2024

The Post-Christmas Malaise


It happens every year at this time.   The holidays are over and we are all hit by a sad realization.  Not that the joy and merriment are over for another year.  Nope, we all get depressed anew when we learn just how incompetent our postal service is.

You see, from early January to sometimes early March, I receive about six to ten holiday cards back with the notation made famous in the song.

Return to sender.  Address unknown.

Except when I look at the address on the envelope, it's correct.   And since I have pre-typed labels, it's not an issue of penmanship.  This year, I got eight cards back.  One, indeed, had the wrong address.  But the other seven?   Perfectly fine.

I realized a good friend's Christmas card to me was missing.   Of course, he sent a card.   I likely will see it around President's Day.   Another friend wrote to me and asked for my correct address.  When did I move?   The address he had for me on the returned card was 100 percent on the money.

I can remember the day when the US Postal Service was perfect.  Not so much now.  You wonder about the reading skills and how diminished they are.  Of course, it all went downhill when there were employment quotas that had to be met.   All of a sudden, your mail carrier went from a high school diploma to a third grade education.

We welcome all to your government jobs.  Even the stupid.

But, have no fear, it's going to get a lot worse.  

Dinner last night:  Cheese and pamcetta omelet.

No comments: