Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Well, That Took a While

 

Well, you can't say I ran out to see this movie.   When "Oppenheimer" came out during the summer, I viewed it the way I do all Christopher Nolan films.

Meh.

I find his movies heavy-handed, excessive, and way too long.   Indeed, Nolan has never met a film editor that he didn't want to hire.   All of his work is bloated like Chris Christie on Thanksgiving.

But, Nolan's movie made a buck or two at the box office. And then there was the Oscar buzz.   "Oppenheimer" looks to be the hands-down winner of the Best Picture Oscar in March.  I figured I better see it eventually and finally did so over the holidays...watching it safely from my comfy couch which could be a nice cushion when I slept through the second hour of the film.

Surprisingly, I did not doze.  Hmmm?

Now, mind you, all the friends that saw this before me had two very bi-polar-ish reactions.   They either loved it or hated it.

Surprisingly again, I did not.  Love it or hate it.  My reaction was pure cinematic ambivalence.   Yes, it is way too long.   Yes, it is over the top.   Yes, it is overrated.

But it held my interest without a drooping of the eyelids.  I chalk this up to some well-essayed performances by Cillian Murphy, Robert Downey Jr., and Emily Blunt.   I'd done some reading on Robert Oppenheimer so I knew all about his BOMB-astic life.  There was always something to look at.   And, while this played in some IMAX locations, there is nothing in the film that requires you to see it on a big screen.  That is to say, the mushroom cloud?

Meh.

I am still befuddled by my virtual non-reaction to "Oppenheimer."   The Best Picture of the year?  Not really.  The Worst Picture of the Year?  Not really.

It took me months to see it.   Am I glad I saw it?

Yes.   And, well...no.

LEN'S RATING:  Two-and-a-half stars.  Or maybe three.

Dinner last night:  Leftover chili.



No comments: