Tuesday, January 21, 2020

And Then There Was The Sign Stealing Incidents...

Typical of me and this blog, I am totally ignoring all of this impeachment nonsense on social media.   

But the Astros and possibly Red Sox stealing signs and causing the Dodgers to lose the World Series in 2017 and 2018 respectively?   I am all over it.  I am one hundred times more appalled by that than whatever Nancy Botox and the like are saying Trump did.

As this all exploded over the past week, I had a plethora of gut reactions and personal epiphanies to this horrifying scenario that is second only to the Black Sox scandal of 1919.  

For instance, I thought back to Game 7 of the 2017 World Series.   I paid 300 bucks for my ticket.   Indeed, as I look at footage of Game 5 in Houston with the trash can banging and the whistling that signified "curve ball," I realize that there should have been no reason for a Game 7 and that expenditure.   Look at Game 5 on You Tube.  It is clearly apparent that the Dodger pitching was compromised.   Kershaw. Morrow, Maeda, and Jansen get unceremoniously pounded.   Indeed, the Dodgers similarly throttled the Astro bullpen that night.  Realistically, the Dodgers should have won that game.   The World Series would have been over in six.   The flag would have flown over Chavez Ravine.  Over and out.
I think about that Series and how Clayton Kershaw's post season legacy was unfairly tarnished.   And I remember how badly Yu Darvish was treated by the fans for his performance.   A performance that may have been impacted by the Houston Astros cheating.

I think about Astro GM Jeff Luhnow who got in trouble when he was GM of the Cardinals.   I think about Alex Cora and his presence at both these World Series and allegedly masterminded the signal stealing with that other choir boy Carlos Beltran.  They're all gone from their respective managerial jobs.   Beltran never got to manage a game with the Mets.

I think about that Met managerial choice.   MLB has been investigating all this stuff for months.  The Mets interviewed Carlos Beltran in November and then hired him.   Wouldn't the Commissioner's office have tipped off the Mets that this guy was under investigation for wrong doing?   If MLB didn't do this, shame on them.   But, if MLB had advised the Mets of what was going on and they hired him any way?   Another buffoon move by the dumbest team franchise in all of baseball.

I  consider the new information that claims Astro second baseman/cockroach Jose Altuve and others were getting signs by wearing buzzers.   It has been denied.   Yet, when Altuve hit the homerun off the Yankee's Aroldis Chapman to move into the 2018 World Series, he clearly is holding his arms in such a way that would prevent teammates from ripping off his jersey.  Supposedly, Jose is modest.   Supposedly, his wife does not like this.  Yet, you can find dozens of pictures on the internet just like this...
Puh-leze, Jose.  Go sell your nonsense back in your homeland of Venezuela.   

I think about all the winning World Series shares that the Astros received.  Why doesn't MLB make the suggestion that this money be given over to some of MLB's favorite charities.   Yeah, the Player's Association is going to let THAT happen.

I think about how electronics has invaded the sport.   From replay rooms to cameras all over parks to social media, there are countless images to every single second of every single baseball game.  I remember the Dodgers getting their hand slapped a few seasons ago for using some laser device to position the outfield.  I've seen players pop open laptops in the dugout to take a look at footage of this new relief pitcher.   Where does MLB draw the line at electronics?   This is indeed a tipping point in the credibility of the game.   I mean, after all, this is a lot more complicated than some back-up catcher in a outfield bullpen using binoculars to steal signs.

I read about how some dopey LA city councilman has made a resolution that demands MLB to give the World Series title to the Dodgers for both 2017 and 2018.   Okay, how ridiculous is this notion?   How hollow a victory?   Of course, it is the LA City Council so such stupidity should be expected.

I think about the fact that this scandal is not going to go away soon, even if MLB institutes some really confining rules and huge financial fines.   You see, this year's All Star Game is being played at Dodger Stadium.   There will surely be some Houston Astros and Boston Red Sox on the American League roster.   The noise from the crowd will deafening and a reminder to a huge audience that this travesty did occur.

And, since I'll be at the game that day, I don't mind if I join in.

BOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Dinner last night:  Beef stroganoff.






       

No comments: