Friday, December 17, 2021

Your Holiday Movie Guide for December 2021

 

Christmas and the movies.   They go hand in hand at this time of year.   And, luckily in 2021, we can enjoy this duality of seasons together, albeit with masks and vaccination cards.   

Sadly, not all my favorite theaters have come back to us.   I'm thinking of you, Arclight Hollywood.   And, of course, a spectacular holiday movie at Radio City Music Hall in New York went bye bye years ago.   But, at least, there is something out there to see.   You know the drill, gang.   I'll sift through the movie listings and give you my gut reaction to what is under the cinema mistletoe these days.

Regardless of the fare, embrace the movies and Christmas one more time.

The Power of the Dog:  Could this be about a canine revolution after being forced to go on all those neighborhood walks during COVID?

Belfast:  Review coming.  Spoiler alert:  Simple and charming.

C'mon C'mon:   Reviewed here the other day.   Don't be frightened by the presence of Joaquin Phoenix in the cast.   This is pretty good.

West Side Story:  Sixty years after the original, this reboot by Steven Spielberg tries to duplicate the success and get Rita Moreno another Oscar.   I hear you need to see it in a theater.

House of Gucci:   Lady Gag Gag.   Not my house.

Spencer:  I was intrigued by this story about Lady Diana until I saw how weird the trailer was.

Don't Look Up:   An all-star cast about a comet that is plummeting toward Earth.   Unless it hits Maxine Waters, I'm not interested.

Drive My Car:  I hear good things about this film from Japan about a 20-year-old Ubering a widowed actor.   Hey, it worked for Miss Daisy.

Flee:  The film follows Amin, who, on the verge of marrying his husband, shares his story for the first time about his hidden past fleeing his home country of Afghanistan to Denmark as a refugee.  If you think that sounds dramatic, please know that it's an animated feature.

Being the Ricardos:   I will see it and I will hate it.   This film offers me the weird experience of seeing two characters on screen that I actually was friends with.

Spider-Man - No Way Home:  Is it me or is there a new Spiderman movie every week?

Nightmare Alley:  An all star cast in a story about 1940s elite NY society.  Directed by the bloated and overrated Guillermo Del Toro who made the dreadful "Shape of Water."

Encanto:  Disney Animation has grown so tedious.

Ghostbusters - Afterlife:   There is no afterlife for dull movie franchises.

The Lost Daughter:  This drama directed by Maggie Gyllenhaal and it stars Olivia Colman, who is now in every movie produced in England.

The Hand of God:   I hear good things about this film from Italy about a kid growing up in 1980s Naples.

Licorice Pizza:   Paul Thomas Anderson, who directed "Boogie Nights," examines anew growing up in the San Fernando Valley during the 1970s.  I'm intrigued.

The Matrix - Resurrections:  Proud to say I have never seen a Matrix movie.

King Richard:  If Will Smith wants to make a biopic, how about one that shows us the marriage of him and his wife Jada Pinkett?

National Champions:   Something about a NCAA football coach.  Kristen Chenoweth is in it.   I doubt she is the lead.

The French Dispatch:   Cancel your subscription to this magazine.

Dinner last night:  Had a big lunch so just a little ice cream.

 





No comments: