Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Winter of My Discontent?

Down comes the sign in Shea Stadium that heralded my Loge section---my baseball home---for over four decades. One more screw loosened. One more tear shed. One more day further away.

I was finished. I've said so right here. You read the eulogy and even commented on it with unflagging sympathy. My seats at Shea were gone and so was I.


But, just when I thought I was done. Like Michael Corleone in "The Godfather, Part 3," I figured I was out but now they have pulled me back in.

Well, maybe.

I've received the following communication from the Mets. Partial plans rise like the Phoenix from the ashes.


You may not be able to read the fine print, but I can. There is a 15 game plan that might fit. My Saturday plan always had just 13 games. This might be a no-brainer. There could be a place for me in Citi Field.

Yet, I have so many questions. I would still go to probably no more than 4 or 5 games per season, so would the others be easy to sell off? What's the price? What's the location? Will I be any closer than just to the south of Lake Ronkonkoma? Do I have to swallow the games they select for me? Will I see an awful lot of the Washington Nationals? Can I select only Saturdays? Why am I suddenly having renewed feelings for my first wife when my second one is so damn attractive? And, plus the new missus has been so alluring all the way to the middle of October? The first wife's been leaving me high and dry at the end of September.

I have a new baseball life and a new baseball team with great baseball friends and a terrific usher for my section.

What's the nag? What's the pull? I've moved on.

Well, maybe.

Okay, folks, this is a blog and designed to be interactive. What do you think? I'm going to ask the Mets for more information most definitely. But, then what? Do I hold onto a piece of my childhood, albeit a spruced-up, luxury suite-laden, definitely more expensive version of my childhood? For a team that I just don't love like I used to? Or do I leave my Met seats where I left them? In a heap somewhere around Section 7 of the Loge.

Essentially, how do I say "FU?" Or...do I say "FU?"

Not only is your counsel invited here, please refer to the poll on the right. Just as ACORN would tell you, vote early and often and frequently under a fictitious name.

Merci beaucoup.

Dinner last night: Grilled cheese and homemade tomato soup.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Given the fact you are openly questioning what to do indicates to me you have doubts. The best way to work through the doubts is to allow yourself the freedom to change your mind and try Citi field. If, after you have experienced the Citiness of it all, you are still not comfortable (or happy), then turn to the Dodgers with an open heart. I know the grand gesture of saying FU is tempting, but this way seems as if you are making a decision without having all the facts.

Anonymous said...

Len: Definitely get more information. Finding out more details never hurts. This team was the love of your life (sports-wise), and breaking up really is hard to do.

Anonymous said...

I counsel logic.

First, estimate how many weekends you could be in NY during next season. Most trips will be business related. You know the general pace of those.

Second, find out what sections are available and at what price. Add it up. Gouge or no gouge? Worth it?

Third, will Met games conflict with must-see Dodger games?

You can't go home again. Shea is no more. You can live with the good ghosts, but they won't follow you to Citi Field (terrible name).

As the man says, it will be a whole new ball game.

Anonymous said...

Just do it!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Peanut Gallery.