Friday, February 15, 2019

Your Weekend Movie Guide for February 2019

Hey, who says there were no movies featuring strong Black women years ago? Given that it's both Oscar Month and Black History Month, I give you Coffy...hold the cream.  When you get right down to it, this film is really no different than anything we are getting at the movies in 2019.   You know what I mean?  I am guessing that all the White characters in "Coffy" were evil.   

Speaking of the Oscars, the nominated junk is still out there for us to behold. You know the drill, folks.  I'll sift through the LA Times movie pages and give you my gut reaction to what's stinking up our theaters right now.   I am guessing that it's no contest for the baddest one-chick hit-squad that is COFFY.

BlackKlansman:  The one Oscar nominee I have not seen.  Nor will I.   I hear the true story has been doctored wildly.   Fact check, please.

Roma:  Reviewed here recently.  The front runner for the Best Picture Oscar. That said, it's complete junk.

The Favourite:  Reviewed here recently.  One of the worst movies I have seen in my life.

Cold War:  Up for Best Foreign Film.   I hear it's as dull as dirt.

Black Panther:  Preposterous the amount of attention this super hero movie is getting, solely because all the characters are...well, you know.

Free Solo:   A mountain climbing documentary that I hear is quite good.

A Star Is Born:  Judy's version was infinitely better.  Hell, so was Barbra's.

The Wife:  Reviewed here recently.  See it before Glenn Close wints the Oscar for it.

On the Basis of Sex:  Ruth Bader Ginsburg as a young sexpot.   Total science fiction.

Arctic:  Survival in the Arctic after a plane crash.  Um, this isn't one of those "passengers eat each other" movies, is it?

Stan and Ollie:  Reviewed here recently.   I liked it, so, hence, it made no money.

Vice:  Blog review coming.   I saw it via a screener, so, woo hoo, no money spect.

Bohemian Rhapsody:  See Vice.

Green Book:  I thought it was one of the best pictures of the year.   It will probably lose.

Everybody Knows: Laura and her two children travel from Argentina to Spain to attend her sister's wedding. The joyful reunion soon turns tragic when her older daughter gets kidnapped -- revealing a dark web of hidden secrets.  One big advertisement for travel insurance.

If Beale Street Could Talk:  Dreary and overrated, but Regina King remains the real deal when it comes to strong acting performances.

Cold Pursuit:  Liam Neeson stars, so I guess he's somehow avenging the wrongful death of some family member.

Velvet Buzzsaw:  After paintings by an unknown artist are discovered, a supernatural force enacts revenge on those who have allowed their greed to get in the way of art.  I doubt a blog review is coming.

The Lego Movie 2 - The Second Part:  Isn't that title kind of redundant?

What Men Want:  Tracy Morgan stars.  I know the guy was in a car crash and everything (not wearing a seat belt, by the way).  But have you heard him speak lately?  He is virtually incoherent.

Never Look Away:  More Nazi shenanigans from Germany.  I guess I will...look away after all.

Isn't It Romantic?:  Probably not.

Alita - Battle Angel:  Just by the title...er, no.

Fighting With My Family:  Who doesn't?

Parkland - Inside Building 12:  A documentary about the shooting and, boy, these film makers worked fast.

Patrick:  A young woman inherits her grandmother's spoiled pug.  Could be worse.  She could have gotten stuck caring for Grandma.

The Image Book:  It's from director Jean Luc Godard, so insert the French word for "confusing."

Lords of Chaos:  All about the metal music scene.  Clunk.

Happy Death Day 2U:  Convenient that it opens the day after Valentine's Day.

Donnybrook:  A former U.S. Marine trains to compete in a vicious bare-knuckle fight where the winner gets a $100,000 prize.  Is this another stupid game show from Ellen DeGeneres??

Dinner last night:  Leftover lasagna.



No comments: