Thursday, October 10, 2019

Hollywood Then and Now - October 2019

It's been a long time since I introduced a new monthly feature to this blog, but here's one that I have thought about for some time.

Living near Hollywood, you find the opportunity to run into famous film or TV locations that still exist in some shape or form.  I want to share those with you as I travel around town.   You'll never know what you will find.   

First up, here's a photo from the mid 1950s...
Yep, it's the stage door entrances to the sound stages of Desilu back in the day.  Side-by-side were the portals to "I Love Lucy" and "Our Miss Brooks."  Open these doors and you were enveloped in television history.

So, imagine my surprise when I had a lunch date in Hollywood a few months ago.   I drove past what is now called Red Studios.   It was once one of the Desilu lots in town.   Indeed, some time next month, I am actually going to a filming of the new "Mad About You" reboot shot in the very same place.

But when I first drove past Red, the old photo was still etched in my mind.   So it was startling to see this in 2019...
The very same doors to the very same sound stages over sixty years later.   Take a close look at the apparatus holding the "Our Miss Brooks" sign in the old photo.   It's still hanging in the same spot today.  Of course, somebody must have stolen the sign holder for "I Love Lucy."   We might have to check e-Bay.

A slice of Hollywood history that demonstrates...the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Dinner last night:  Reuben sandwich at Cafe 50s.

No comments: