Friday, October 18, 2019

Your Weekend Movie Guide for October 2019

It's difficult to fathom that this movie, a hallmark of my youth, premiered 50 years this month.   Holy crap!  Indeed they don't make them like this anymore.

And if you want proof of that, head out to your local cinemas this weekend and see if anything could top the likes of Butch and Sundance.  You know the monthly ritual, gang.  I'll sift through the movie pages of the Los Angeles Times and give you my quick and dirty reaction to what's playing in the multiplexes this weekend.

It won't take you long to figure out there's nothing out there as good as Newman and Redford.   Those aren't raindrops falling on your head.  It's a big old Hollywood anvil.

Downton Abbey:  Reviewed here and I've already seen it twice.  Get the message??

Joker:  I hear this is darker than the inside of your hall closet, but the Oscar buzz has me intrigued.

Gemini Man:  Starring the Will Smith that is not the Dodger catcher.  Which means I'm not interested.

The Cotton Club Encore:  What's worse than bringing back a lousy movie?  Recutting it in an attempt to hide the fact it was lousy in the first place.

Lucy in the Sky:   With diamonds?   I saw the trailer.   Yawn.

Judy:  Reviewed here recently.   A mesmerizing film with a bravura performance by the hopeful Oscar winner Renee Zellweger.

The Laundromat:   Meryl Streep investigates insurance fraud.   Save your box office dollars.  It shows up on Netflix today.

Pain and Glory:  More life perspective from that overrated director Pedro Almodovar.   Just in case you though it was a documentary about the 2019 Dodgers season.

The King:  All about the young Henry V.   A cinematic essay exam.

Parasite:  I have no idea what this is but, apparently, every millennial in the universe went to see it last weekend.  PS, I am not a millennial.

Jexi:  A young man addicted to his cellphone and his virtual assistant Jexi.  Siri was fired?

Abominable:   The list of Democrats running for President in 2020.

The Addams Family:  Another incarnation that reminds me anew that I always preferred the Munsters.

Hustlers:  Also the list of Democrats running for President in 2020.

It - Chapter Two:  I saw the first one.   I am done with clowns for now.

Ad Astra:  Blog reviewed recently.  I will sum it up.  Zzzzzzzz.

Rambo - Last Blood:  From the clip I saw, the title should be "Rambo - Last Facelift."

Zombieland - Double Tap:  I heard the first one was good and...wait...Emma Stone is in it?  Well, I just might have to catch up to this franchise.

Trick:  A serial killer in a small town.  Done to death...literally.

Wallflower:  A man plans a mass shooting.  I assume this is not from Pixar.

Thunder Road:  I assume you hear the Springsteen tune in the soundtrack.  I'll skip.

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot:  Well, they are rebooting everything these days.

Celebration:  A documentary about Yves St Laurent.  YSL to insiders.

Closure:  A woman mourns her mother and missing sister.  Straight to Lifetime.

Going Attractions - The Definitive Story of the Movie Palace:  Has the name "Len" written all over it.

Cyrano, My Love:   Hmmm, let me guess.

Miss Virginia:  An inner city mom fights for better education.  And here I thought this was going to be about a beauty pageant.

Maleficent - Mistress of Evil:  Starring Angelina Jolie so the description in the title fits.

The Lighthouse:  New England lighthouse keepers in the 1890s.  My eyelids are drooping already.

LA Woman Rising:  A documentary that has interviews with 50 Los Angeles ladies as they keep up in the morning.  Without make-up???

Jojo Rabbit:  A boy in Nazi Germany conjures up an imaginary friend...Adolf Hitler.  The trailer was hilarious.

Greener Grass:  Soccer moms fight.  In mud, I hope.

Dinner last night:  Prime rib at Lawry's.


No comments: