Thursday, May 21, 2020

Yay! I FINALLY Finished Reading Another Book - "The Big Chair" by Ned Colletti

Long time readers to this here blog know all too well about my past lamentations about reading.

As a kind and even into my young adult years, I used to read a lot.   About ten years ago, I stopped.   I kept buying books.   I kept not reading them.  

I challenged myself here to do a book report every time I finished a book.   That increased the output a little.   Indeed, most of my reading was done whenever I had a cross country flight.

And yet the saddest news of all.   The last "Yay! I Finished Reading Another Book" blog write-up was in August of 2017!!!

But, refusing to let a good pandemic go to waste, I am attempting to give this another go.   God knows I have the stacks of books to work through.

"The Big Chair" by former Dodger General Manager Ned Colletti was a book I actually started two years ago.   When I picked it up recently, I was about a third away from the end.   With the lack of baseball tearing at my heart, it was a likely choice to finish.

And I did.

Colletti tells a very insightful tale of his years crafting the Dodger team.   A lot of the young players he found are now stars on the big league roster.   Ned is always amazingly candid and there's one story about an obscenity-filled fight between then-manager Don Mattingly and the petulent Yasiel Puig that was so fascinating I read it twice.

Colletti takes us from his first day on the job to the final day where he is replaced by current Dodger GM Andrew Friedman.  Throughout it all, Ned tells us about the good days, the bad days, and the long days.  He does it so with class and insightful information.

This is the perfect book for right now if you are missing baseball.   

Or maybe you just want to say you finished reading another book.

Let's see if I can wrap up another one in a month or two.

Dinner last night:  Leftover Vinegar Chicken.

No comments: