Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Payback and A Bitch

 

Here's another pandemic movie review and it's an interesting story on how I came to see "Promising Young Woman."   Mind you, I had heard good things and, of course, there was Oscar nominations and awards.  Carey Mulligan was nominated for Best Actress.  The screenplay won the Academy Award.   

Still I never bothered to check it out.

So, I am flying back to LA and, for the first time in several years, I was upgraded to a little Business Class pod.

I ate my meal as soon as it was served.   But the gal next to me wanted to wait for her dinner.   Instead, she watched a movie on her screen.   

"Promising Young Woman."

So I chomped away on some delicious Asian chicken as I stared at her screen.   I didn't have headphones on so I could only guess what was happening in this film.

When I was done with my meal, I plugged into the same movie to see if I was dead-on with what I thought was happening in the film.

PS, I was.   "Promising Young Woman" is that predictable.

Now, because of the #MeToo movement, this film is getting a lot of kudos for presenting to us all the plight of women who fall victim to randy men in bars. And perhaps it is good to have that conversation.

But, indeed, "Promising Young Woman" is at its core nothing but a cheap tale of revenge.   Mulligan plays a girl whose friend is raped by some pick-up in a bar.  The gal pal kills herself and Mulligan sets out to avenge her plight by getting back at the guy and all his friends.

And I am afraid that's all there is to "Promising Young Woman."   And, one more time, I myself get thrown under the bus along with a bunch of other well meaning guys just because some members of our gender are shitheads.

Okay, it's a compelling watch but, given that I could tell what was going on with the sound down, that doesn't say much about this Oscar-winning screenplay.

The meal was good, though.

LEN'S RATING:  Two-and-a-half stars.

Dinner last night:  Leftover Chinese food.




No comments: