Friday, May 21, 2021

Your Weekend Movie Guide for May 2021


Well, one of my favorite neighborhood theaters has re-opened, only to close a week later when somebody behind the candy counter came down with COVID.  But the Nuart will be open again.  The sad thing is that some of my other faves, like the Arclight Hollywood, are knock, knock, knocking at Heaven's door.  

I have yet to enter a movie theater since last March.  The reason is not so much fear of the coughing person next to me.   I'm mostly frightened by the crap on the screen.  Hollywood has become this grim place where dark movies are churned out like Raisinets.  But there is enough going on to reinstate our monthly film guide.   You know the usual drill, gang.   I'll sift through the entertainment pages of the LA Times and give you my knee-jerk reaction to what is starting to show at our theaters.  

If there was only a vaccination for crummy movies...

The Father:   Yes, whether you like it or not, Anthony Hopkins did win the Best Actor Oscar.  I have yet to sample this tale of dementia.   See above about "dark movies."

Promising Young Woman:  Recently reviewed here.   It was overrated then and probably still is.

Minari:  For me, this was the Best Picture of the year.   Except I was smiling at the end and that's probably verboten.

Nomadland:  This won Best Picture and...well,...see above.

Those Who Wish Me Dead:  Just what we need...another documentary about Donald Trump?

Finding You:  A girl travels to Ireland to meet a heartthrob movie star.    And who stole the "Notting Hill" script?

Demon Slayer - Kimetsu No Yaiba:   No Yaiba?   I want my money back.

Profile:   A British journalist infiltrates extremist groups on-line.   I think that's called Facebook.

Wrath of Man:   Starring Jason Statham.  Which means you're better off watching "Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan."

Spiral - Saw:  Or try Honey Baked for Spiral - Ham.

Together Together:  Starring somebody from "The Office," a show that I never saw a single frame of.

The Marksman:  Starring Liam Neeson, who I swear makes a lousy movie once a month.

Army of the Dead:   A zombie outbreak in Las Vegas.   No Moderna?

Killing of Two Lovers:   Well, that should solve somebody's problem.

Here Today:   Starring Billy Crystal and who dug him up?   Also starring Tiffany Haddish who should never have been dug up in the first place.

Limbo:  A Scottish island of refugees.   Kilts galore.

Dinner last night:  Ham sandwich.

 

No comments: