Friday, September 17, 2021

Your Weekend Movie Guide for September 2021

 

Well, this breaks my heart.   Driving around Westchester last weekend, I see that the Bronxville movie theater is still...and probably always will be another victim of COVID.   It does not look as if it will be re-opening soon.   There was a sign in the door.   I didn't want to see what it had to say.

I can't tell you how many wonderful movies and memories I made in this theater.   It was the place to go when the local movie houses in next-door Mount Vernon, New York shuttered.  Even with three screens, it was such a homey spot to have a cinematic experience I am hoping they will rebound.   I expect the worst.   And, speaking of which, there is junk opening this week.   You know the drill, folks.  I will root through the movie listings and give you my knee-jerk reaction to what is polluting those theaters that are still open.

We pray for you, Bronxville Cinema.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten:  I see the word "Marvel."   I keep moving.

Malignant:   Doesn't that title make you want to avoid this film?

Venom - Let There Be Carnage:   And this one, too.

Candyman:   Not the Willy Wonka version.

Jungle Cruise:  Since they went politically correct on the Disneyland ride, I am boycotting this film.

Respect:  Reviewed recently on this blog.  Who doesn't like Aretha Franklin?

Snake Eyes:  Also sounds avoidable.

The Boss Baby - Family Business;  The cartoon characters look super creepy.

Paw Patrol - The Movie:   As opposed to Paw Patrol - The Flea Powder.

Free Guy:   Ryan Reynolds as a character in a video game.  I have run out of quarters.

Copshop:   Corrupt police.   Don't you see enough of this on MSNBC?

Cry Macho:  Clint Eastwood's latest in front of and behind the camera.   I always try to support because he always manages to tell an interesting story.  Even at 90.

Don't Breathe 2:   If you paid attention to the title in the first one, you're not around for the second.

The Card Counter:  Paul Schrader directs, which means this is weird shit.

After We Fell:  The break-up of a young romance.   Who needs to relive this???

Everybody's Talking About Jamie:  I'm not.

Stillwater:  Matt Damon looking for his kid.   Try Lost and Found.

The Green Knight:   I saw King Arthur in the logline.   I hate medieval stuff.

The Eyes of Tammy Faye:   Jessica Chastain stars as....   Probably your first 2022 Oscar nominee for Make-Up.

Dinner last night:  A long travel day so nothing really.

No comments: