Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Len's Recipe of the Month - November 2021

Sorry.   Just because it's November, I'm not going to bore you with a Thanksgiving recipe.   Nope, I am going off the grid for this one,   You would not serve sausage, peppers, and onions (SPO) for Turkey Day.   Although I might.

If you know me well, you realize that SPO is my most favorite entree to eat.   And, along with lasagna, it is my very favorite thing to make.   Now I've done this here before.   But, if you hang on to the end, there's a little new twist I have invented that really elevates this dish to a higher plain.

Now true foodies know there are two ways to do SPO.  Dry or wet.  I have no preference but the new twist requires this to be of the wet variety pictured above.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.   Then place two pounds of sweet (or mixed with hot) sausage on a wire rack and bake for thirty minutes.

In your favorite skillet or....my beloved La Creuset dutch oven...heat up two to three tablespoons of EVO.  

For the pepper part, I use only red or yellow or orange.   Green is too bitter.  Slice them lengthwise and add to the pot.   Slice up two medium onions and add them.  Mince four to five cloves of garlic and lay on top of the veggies.

Now, here's some of the wet.   Create an empty space on the bottom of the pot for a tablespoon of tomato paste.   Let it get toasted and then stir it into the peppers and onions.  

Add two 8 oz cans of diced tomatoes...drained.

By now, you can pull the sausage out of the oven.  Let them cool for ten minutes and then slice them up.   Add to the pot.

Now the secret.  You know that hot cherry pepper relish you can get on subs at Jersey Mike's?  Well, you can get that in a jar and you want to blend in two tablespoons of this into your dish.   Stir it all up and reduce the heat to low.  Cover it but leave a little of the lid askew so steam can escape.   Let this simmer for an hour or longer.

An old favorite with a fiery twist.

Happy Thanksgiving.  Wink wink.

Dinner last night:  Long day of travel.  Some roast beef and German potato salad.



No comments: