Tuesday, January 17, 2023

I Watched a Movie on Netflix

 

Today's blog title might not be a big deal in your house, but it is in mine.   I am not a Netflix devotee.   To me, there are way too many movies and shows on their service.  The sheer process of picking something to watch is mind numbing.   So I opt to keep my brain free and I virtually ignore Netflix all together.

But every once in a while, I have to make an exception and "Dog Gone" is one of those Hailey Comet moments.   I probably would have ignored it with the rest of Netflix.  But as it would turn, a good friend of mine actually knows the Virginia family that this true story was based on.  So what the hell.   There was another California rainstorm anyway.  Here I come, Netflix.

And, frankly, I am glad I did because "Dog Gone" is an utterly charming piece of entertainment.  Its only mission is to put a smile on your face and that separates it from 99.9 percent of every other film being made in 2023 for Netflix or any other place for that matter.

Fielding is a college senior whose heart gets broken by some girl and he decides to get over the romance by getting a dog who he names Gonker.   The only problem is he's ready to graduate and move back with his parents.  His relationship with Dad (a nice performance by Rob Lowe who also produced) is prickly to begin with and a dog is not going to help.  

But Fielding and Gonker eventually win over the folks.  Mom (a lovely performance by Kimberly Williams-Paisley) is an easier target because she still misses her childhood pooch who was hit by a car.   Of course, the expected complications ensue when it is discovered that Gonker has Addison's Disease (the same ailment that JFK had) and must receive medication religiously every month.

Of course, the title of the film lets you know that Gonker is going to disappear somewhere in the Appalachian mountains.   Dad and Fielding go on a long trip to find the dog and naturally bond during the process.   Indeed, Fielding is also hiding his own medical predicament from his parents.   

You know where this story is going even if you weren't given a spoiler alert by a friend that tells you there is a happy ending.  But the story is well laid out and makes you hit the tissue box at all the right moments.   It is certainly well worth your time and Kleenex.

So, this month, my Netflix subscription paid a dividend.   I'm sure this won't be a habit.

LEN'S RATING:  Three-and-a-half stars.

Dinner last night:  Leftover orange chicken.

No comments: