Thursday, June 8, 2023

Fastball Across the Plate

 

If you want my immediate attention, mention anything about Mary Tyler Moore and the two classic sitcoms she starred in.   You could literally wake me from a coma if this is the subject.

So, like Freddie Freeman, this HBO/Max documentary is a guaranteed base hit for yours truly.   And this one proves its mettle by offering a deep down intense, yet almost reverent look at one of the greatest sitcom actresses ever.   This was put together with love and care and the affinity shows with every frame.

There was certainly a lot more behind Mary than just crying "Oh, Rob" or "Mr Grant."  There are many layers to the onion that is MTM.  In a superb linear style, we follow her life with all the hills and valleys.  From creating glorious comedy to dealing with diabetes and her one child's accidental death.  It's all here and you realize there is a lot to Mary that you never ever knew.

I saw a little of this about 15 or so years ago.  I was on one of my routine flights back to LA from NY.   Standing at baggage claim, I suddenly realized I was standing next to Mary herself.   Years of diabetes had aged her but she was clearly Mary.  Deep in thought.  Certainly not open to being pummeled with gushing praise from some fan like me.  It was apparent that Mary's life at that moment was very much not open for business.

So I simply stood and gazed at her.  

And this wonderful documentary showed me exactly why I had backed off.  In my small way, I was honoring her.   And when you watch this film, you, too, will understand it as well.

Dinner last night:  Sandwich.

Mary Tyler Moore.   A talent and a human being that is missed to this day.

LEN'S RATING:  Four stars.

Dinner last night:


No comments: