Thursday, June 15, 2023

Frenemy

 

I haven't discussed it much here but I am currently going through the recovery process of total left knee replacement surgery.  It's not fun.   There are good days and bad days.   One step forward, two steps behind.  Rinse, repeat.   I'll get through it.

But one of the things I do want to mention upfront is how easily pain medication can begin to control your life.   It was my first experience ever...and hopefully my last.

In the regimen of Walgreen's finest that wound up in my home for the post surgical period, there were two such narcotics.   A mild one called Tramadol.  And the granddaddy of all pain controllers...oxycodon.   

Now it was always my inclination to keep that particular vial unopened.   And during the first week of recovery, I managed just that.   I was doing so well.   But, as always happens, a good first week is usually followed by a shitty second week.  The pain was horrific.

The visiting nurse on my case counseled me.  He knew I wanted to be a hero but it was time to use...THAT...for a couple of days.

And so I did.  And so it worked.   Incredibly so.  I essentially took no more than 15 mg a day, but that was all I needed to curb the pain.

After a week or so, I was advised to get off it.  And so I went from 15 mg to 5 mg in one day.   

Oh, yeah?, said the Oxycodon.   Well, we want you to finish the bottle.  And, if you don't....

Headache.

Nausea.

Constipation.

Insomnia.

Okay, I took this drug for one single week and I was ready for Betty Ford.   I can only imagine what habitual users go through.

It all goes away.  But you're better off if you don't start at all.   

Dinner last night:  Grilled sausage.


No comments: