Friday, August 18, 2023

Your Weekend Movie Guide for August 2023

 

So, this NY newspaper ad from October, 1959 intrigues me.   Zooming in, I can see this is when my third favorite movie of all time was playing at my local hometown Loews theater.    I wonder if my parents went.

Back then, a trip to the movies was a glorious night out.  Now, not so much. People barely get to the kitchen to microwave a bag of popcorn.  The community experience of enjoying a film is sadly gone.   But, I'll look anyway.   You know the monthly drill, folks.   I'll sort through what now resembles a newspaper and give you my gut reaction to what's currently not being seen on our local screens.

Save for one which is doing big box office.

Barbie:  And sucks.   One of the worst movies I have ever seen.   Don't buy into the hype.

Haunted Mansion:  Disney repurposes everything.    Now it's turning theme park rides into dopey movies.

Oppenheimer:   Three hours long.   And how did they make that long a movie about the producer of "I Love Lucy?"  Oh, wait, I got that wrong.

Last Voyage of the Demeter:   I never took the first voyage of the Demeter.

Meg 2 - The Trench:   This is something large that eats things.   Starring Lizzo?

Sound of Freedom:   I hear good things about this child trafficking story.  People on Fox News love it.  So, don't tell me.  It has a conservative POV?

Mission Impossible - Dead Reckoning - Part 1:   Reviewed here recently.   Almost three hours of jaw dropping excitement.   The same time you would spend on line at a Six Flags park.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Mutant Mayhem:   Mutant Mayhem....otherwise known as Congress.

Shortcomings:  An Asian rom com.   Which means it's no better or worse than a regular rom com.

Talk to Me:   I don't wanna.

Gran Turismo:  A racing biopic.  I am waving a yellow flag.

Jules: A reliable cast of Ben Kingsley, Harriet Sansom Harris, and Jane Curtin meet an alien.  One from outer space, not Mexico.

Blue Beetle:   Ringo the Smurf?

Theater Camp:   This comedy about kids at a musical comedy camp had a cute trailer.  Never a good sign.

Strays: I saw the trailer and thought the movie was foul and offensive.   I also laughed my ass off so I'm going.

Dinner last night:  Cold salad plate.




1 comment:

Puck said...

Is "Last Voyage of the Demeter" about former Dodgers OF (later Phillies) Don Demeter?