Friday, January 18, 2019

Your Weekend Movie Guide for January 2019

A heartbreaking photo.   The Loews Theater in my home town of Mount Vernon, New York.   Meeting the wrecking ball.   This happened a long time ago but I still can't get over it.  So many hours of my childhood spent there.  Weep, weep.

The single screen movie palace is disappearing.   But, then again, many of them are not worthy to present the films coming out these days.  You know the drill, guys.  I'll sift through the entertainment pages of the LA Times and give you my gut reaction to what Hollywood has unleashed of late.

Meanwhile, I need to grab another Kleenex.

The Upside:  From the reviews, I hear there is none.

Mary Poppins Returns:  For no good reason apparently.

If Beale Street Could Talk:  Blog review coming.  The good news is that I saw this via a free screener.

The Favourite:  STAY AWAY!!!!!!

Mary Queen of Scots:   Isn't there a show on PBS about her every other week?

Roma:  Blog review coming.   How do you say "meh" in Spanish?

Vice:  I hear this is not what you would expect.   I have conservative friends who liked it and liberal friends who hated it.  Now that's your parallel universe.

Stan and Ollie:  Blog review coming.  A very charming little movie.

Destroyer:  Zero in the clue department.

Bohemian Rhapsody:  Okay, enough friends have talked me into seeing this at some point.  Who's got a screener??

Green Book:  The surprisingly Best Picture of the year for me.

On the Basis of Sex:   Are you trying to tell me that Ruth Bader Ginsberg looked like that when she was young???!!!

Ben Is Back:   I wanted to see this, but it disappeared faster than a Trump supporter at Nancy Pelosi's backyard barbecue.

The Wife:   I hear Glenn Close is phenomenal.

Second Act:  Recently reviewed here.  I still don't believe I saw a J Lo movie.

Spiderman - Into the Spiderverse:   Who's got some Raid?

Aquaman:  Reviewed here the other day.   I saw it because I needed my car serviced.  What's your excuse?

Cold War:   A love story in 1950s Eastern Europe.   Yawnski.

Welcome to Marwen:   Steve Carell once again dead on arrival.

All These Small Moments:  I see Molly Ringwald is in the cast and I am wondering whose basement she was stashed in.

Adult Life Skills:  Most Americans don't have any.

The Brawler:  For those who have been anxiously awaiting a movie about boxer Chuck Wepner.

Don't Come Back from the Moon:  James Franco is in this so that's a warning for you #MeTooers.

Glass:  Bruce Willis and M. Night Shyamalan.  Come on, guys.  You made one good movie together.  Give it a rest.

I Hate Kids:  A bachelor discovers he has a 13-year-old son.  Sounds like every sitcom made in the 1970s.

The Last Man:  All about PTSD hallucinations.  Well, there you are.

The Standoff at Sparrow Creek:  All about a shooting at a police funeral, which is an oxymoron.

Unbridled:  Matching girls who have been abused with horses who have also been abused.   Hopefully not by the same father.

Egg:  A pregnant woman and her surrogate.  I'll have mine scrambled.

Dinner last night:  Chicken caesar salad.

No comments: