Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Len's Recipe of the Month - February 2020

Now here's a taste from my childhood.  Taylor Ham.   Or Taylor Pork Roll.

Now when I was a kid, Taylor Ham was a cold cut my dad picked up at the deli or the pork store.   Sliced like salami or bologna, it was my absolute favorite sandwich to take to school.

It wasn't until years later that I discovered this was made a completely different way just across the river in New Jersey.   On a roll with egg and cheese, it was a staple in any diner found in the Garden State.  

Also delicious.

The good news is that I can also make it in Los Angeles as well.   Now, Taylor Ham is not easy to find in California.   Bristol Farms, the high end super market, has it and priced as Bristol Farms does with everything.   

High.

But sometimes you just have to enjoy a taste of home.

Here's how I make it.

Buy the Taylor Ham and slice a 1/2 inch thick slab.   Make four cuts around the edges so it won't curl in the pan.   Get it grilling on the stove.

In the same pan, lay down a scrambled egg and let that do its thing as well. Instead of cheddar cheese slices, I sprinkle some of that shredded Sargento over the egg that is frying.

And you want to know how to make this sandwich exquisite?  Use a pretzel roll.  It is a taste treat.

And welcome yourself back to the east coast for just a moment or two.

Dinner last night:  Teriyaki noodles.

No comments: