Thursday, February 6, 2020

Your Winning Oscar Ballot - Part 2

Aw, Barbra Streisand and Elliott Gould.   In happier times.  When she got an Oscar and he didn't.

Oh, well.   Thanks for returning to retrieve the rest of the picks for your winning office pool Oscar ballot.   I did all the lesser categories on Tuesday.  Now let's get to the real meat of the meal.

Best Cinematography:  That means photography, folks.   The winner here usually matches up to the winner of Best Director.   Um, no fair reading ahead.  And the Best Director Oscar usually always matches up the the DGA Award for Best Director, which was Sam Mendes for "1917."  Connecting those cinematic dots, THE WINNER IS "1917."

Best Director:  Do I have to repeat everything I just wrote?   THE WINNER IS SAM MENDES FOR "1917."

Best Supporting Actor:   I said it when I first saw the movie.   I don't care who the other nominees are.   I have not changed my opinion.   His performance was spotless.  THE WINNER IS BRAD PITT FOR "ONCE UPON A TIME...IN HOLLYWOOD."

Best Supporting Actress:  I said it when I first saw the movie.   I don't care who the other nominees are.   I have not changed my opinion.   Her performance was spotless.   And who in this town can't say they haven't dealt with a sleazy divorce lawyer?  THE WINNER HAS TO BE LAURA DERN FOR "MARRIAGE STORY."

Best Actor:  One could argue that the acting Oscar competitions were settled months ago.   The same for this category.   As soon as I saw the film, I knew the award was his.   THE WINNER IS JOAQUIN PHOENIX FOR "JOKER."

Best Actress:  And continuing on the theme that this was all decided ages ago.  I said at the time that the only reasons why one nominee wouldn't win is because she's not Black or Hispanic or Asian or gay.   But, in reality, it doesn't make a big difference this year.   For her phenomenal role as Judy Garland, THE WINNER IS SURELY RENEE ZELLWEGER FOR "JUDY."

Best Picture:   Here's the only real competition on Oscar night.   The horse race is a three-way photo finish from what I am hearing.   Months ago, I would have said it was a certain win for "Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood."   But then I saw "Parasite."  Hmmm.   Would it be one of those rarities that wins both Best Picture and Best International Feature?  I don't believe that has ever happened.   Yet, there is such a buzz for "Parasite" to do so.   And then there's the ultra unique "1917."   Its director is a certain winner.   Hmmmmm.   I'm flipping a coin here, gang.   THE WINNER IS "1917."   Maybe.

Dinner last night:  Chicken pepperoni parmigiana.  



No comments: