Friday, February 21, 2020

Your Weekend Movie Guide for February 2020

What a memory of my childhood.  Those wonderful newspaper ads that told you everything that was playing at the Loews chain in the New York City area.  My magnifying glass tells me that "You Were Never Lovelier" was playing at my Loews theater in my home town of Mount Vernon, New York back in February of 1943.

So now I'll check the same movie pages of the Los Angeles Times to see what's playing in February 2020.   Trust me.   Nothing will be of the caliber of "Road to Morocco." 

Parasite:   You may have heard of it.   Definitely check it out.   And note that some theaters are now showing it in a black and white version.

Harley Quinn - Birds of Prey:   I hear this barely got off the ground.

The Assistant:   I hear this is a very Harvey Weinstein-like story.   You've surely heard of him.

The Last Thing He Wanted:  Anne Hathaway as a reporter who helps her dad broker an arms deal.   That doesn't sound like fake news to me.

Downhill:  Will Ferrell and Julia Louis-Dreyfus star.   Len subsequently avoids.

Ordinary Love:   Ever since his real life wife died years ago, Liam Neeson keeps making movies where he is a widower or some hubby with a sick wife.  Isn't this getting a bit tedious?

Portrait of a Lady on Fire:  All about a painter in 1770 France.   How do you say "I'll pass" in French?

1917:  The movie I thought was going to win Best Picture.   Blog review coming.

Just Mercy:   One more legal drama about prejudice in the criminal justice system.   Do they really believe that everybody is "not guilty?"

Little Women:  Recently reviewed here...and I didn't even have a book report due.

Sonic the Hedgehog:  Whatever the fuck that is.

Fantasy Island:  No, no, Tattoo.

The Photograph:   Some diverse love story.   In five years, that's all we will have in theaters.

The Gentlemen:  Reviewed here just the other day.   I saw it primarily because Michelle Dockery was in it.

Bad Boys for Life:  Strictly for those fans of Martin Lawrence and Will Smith...all six of you.

The Lodge:   Horrors stalk a family at a winter cabin.   That's what you get for not putting chains on those tires.

Dolittle:   Robert Downey Jr. talks to the animals....without drugs.

The Call of the Wild:  The classic book with the now classically old Harrison Ford.

Emma:  The Jane Austen novel which counts me out.

Brahms - The Boy 2:   I didn't even know there was a Boy 1.

Emerald Run:   Illegal smuggling across the US-Mexico border.   Please send a screener to the White House.

I Am Fear:  Terrorist threaten to behead a celebrity journalist.  Can I put in a suggestion?

Impractical Jokers - The Movie:  Based on a TV show I never heard of.

The Night Clerk:  Murder in a hotel.   And that's before they slip the bill under your door.

Once Were Brothers - Robbie Robertson and the Band:  Another documentary produced by Ron Howard who is really digging into classical music these days.

Standing Up, Falling Down:  A failed stand-up comic moves back to Long Island where he befriends a dermatologist.   A bombed out career AND eczema???

Premature:   Another romance set in Harlem.  See The Photograph above.

Dinner last night:  Chopped salad with bacon bits and maple bourbon dressing.


No comments: