Thursday, February 20, 2020

The Last of a Film Franchise?

Well, at least, that's what they're saying.   Yep, "Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker" is supposed to be the ninth and final chapter of this film franchise that began in 1977.

Uh huh.   Did you just hear a cash register open?  If there is money to be made, they will keep coming up with reasons to take us to that galaxy long ago and far away.

Okay, truth be told, I would not qualify as a die-hard Star Wars fan.  I did go opening weekend of the very first release.   But, with each subsequent edition, I have gotten less and less interested.   Oh, I've seen all of them.   But, let's face it, it took me about a month to get around to seeing this one.  And frankly, the only real attraction for me was to see how they managed to include Carrie Fisher who has been dead for two years.

Spoiler alert:   yes, Princess Leia is included and not via special effects or any magic tricks.   They used footage for the film they shot several years ago and it amazingly seems to be perfectly integrated into the plot.  It's a fine send-off for Carrie as well as for Mark Hamill and....spoiler alert again...Harrison Ford.

As for the plot and the current characters, the last few Star Wars films have taken a cue from Hollywood and gotten more diverse and female-powered.   I have no issue with that but, for me, all those new folks are sort of uninteresting.   

I have heard from some friends who are Star Wars geeks that they hated this last film.  Indeed, the plot of "Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker" is pretty much on par with every other film in the franchise.   Lots of sky battles.  Lots of explosions.  Lots of rubbery characters.   And, usually for me.....lots and lots and lots of confusion over just what is happening.   As a result, I was addled one more time with this edition.   As per usual.    

Nevertheless, who am I to argue with this ultra-successful film franchise?  It has certainly provided me with some decent entertainment, even if I'm not seeing at a midnight showing on opening night while dressed as a Jedi.

Bravo, George Lucas and company.   "Star Ears - The Rise of Skywalker" is a suitable finale.

Oh, did I use the word "finale?"   Um, yeah, right.

LEN'S RATING:  Three stars. 

Dinner last night:  Grilled Taylor ham and cheese sandwich.

No comments: