Friday, August 14, 2020

Your Weekend Movie Guide for August 2020



And "until further notice" must mean six months because that's what it has been since any of us have set foot in a movie theater.   If they ever open, let's hope the seats get a good dusting first.

So, without new movies, I can't do my monthly movie guide.   Or can I?   Let's see what I had to say when I did the August 2007 Movie Guide...the very first year of this blog.   How many of these flickers do you even remember?

Stardust: some magical thing with Clare Danes and Michelle Pfeiffer. The only critic mentioned in the ad is Gene Shalit. Is he still alive? Looks weird.

Rush Hour 3: about as necessary as power steering on a turtle. Has anybody ever seen this annoying Chris Tucker do anything else? Jackie Chan provides the Kung and Tucker does the FU. I'd have to be a hostage of the Taliban to see this movie.

The Simpsons Movie: even though this is proably nothing more than 3 episodes strung together, it is definitely on my list. The writing is always smart and funny. Anything that regularly lampoons Teddy Kennedy is aces with me.

Two Days in Paris: looks like two hours in Hell.

The Bourne Ultimatum: I actually saw this last week. A friend was visiting from Dallas and he had never seen the Cinerama Dome. I saw the first two movies and regarded them pretty much as cinematic frozen pizza. I couldn't remember a single thing I saw ten minutes after the credits stopped rolling. The third, however, is quite enjoyable and does tie up the three films nicely.

Daddy Day Camp: that hilarious mugger, Cuba Gooding, is at it again. No f-ing way for me. Side note---it was directed by the Wonder Years' Fred Savage. Meanwhile, his co-star from the show, Danica McKellar, is busy writing a middle school math book for girls. The only reason I know this is because the book is dedicated to a good friend of mine, who was her math teacher in the 7th grade.

Talk to Me: Don Cheadle's annual Oscar campaign.

Underdog: Paging Wally Cox.

Becoming Jane: another Jane Austen rehash. Only if your Rite Aid is completely out of Ambien.

Hairspray: I did the do and it was a bad hair day for me. Overrated.

Bratz: I have no idea what these are. Could be either teenage girls, sausage, or a brand of beer.

El Cantante: J-Lo and Marc Anthony show their home videos. Should be retitled "Who's Afraid of Immigration?"

Rocket Science: described as a cross between Rocky and Napoleon Dynamite. Actually, I would prefer it if it was a right cross from Rocky that landed on Napoleon Dynamite.

My Best Friend: some French comedy about the bonds of friendship. I saw it. If the theater is air conditioned, it's okay.

Skin Walkers: I don't recognize a single name in the ad. And it's playing at a lot of theaters in South Central LA. Do the math.

I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry: I have been told by some gay friends that this movie is incredibly offensive. The fact that it is an Adam Sandler comedy is enough for me.

No Reservations: that chick flick about a romance between two chefs. The type of movie that I can recite most of the dialogue while waiting on line for a ticket.

Ratatouille: I highly recommend it. Makes you realize why it is so important to regularly take out the garbage.

Transformers: a friend of mine saw it and he had to have it explained to him by his four year-old nephew.

Harry Potter Blah Blah Blah: I am very proud that I have not been sucked into this cult.

Arctic Tale: March of the Penguins with Polar Bears. The trailer says it is told by "storyteller" Queen Latifah. Who died and made her Rapunzel?

Dinner last night:  Italian muffaletta sandwich.

No comments: