Tuesday, August 18, 2026

No Tomatoes Please

 

...except.   Well, yes, there is a story.  

So, the title of today's piece is also the official name of the production company my writing partner and I started over three decades okay.   It stemmed from the many NY-based lunches we had at the time when we were trying to star a writing career.   When we were ordering, both of us had a stipulation for the waiter.  If we were getting a salad, there would be a single exception.

No tomatoes please.  

The phrase stuck.  And still adheres to this day.   Just check us on Imdb.

Now, here's the goofy stuff.   I will eat tomato sauce and any cooked tomatoes.  I will drink tomato juice.  I will eat salsa or bruschetta.   My favorite sandwich is bacon, lettuce, and...yes...tomato.   I just won't eat a tomato cut into slices or a wedge.

Does this make sense?   Of course not.  But it is me.

But, every August going back to my days in NY and up to my current days in LA, I make an exception to the rule.   I will venture out to a Farmer's market and over-indulge myself in tomatoes of all kinds and shapes.  Nothing makes me happier than a bowl of cut up tomatoes with nothing but some salt, a little EVO, and some balsamic vinegar.

It is currently August.   Look at the load of tomatoes I have for this week.

So much for production company names.

Dinner last night:  Leftover ribeye in a salad.  With tomatoes.

No comments: