Friday, November 22, 2019

Your Holiday Weekend Movie Guide for November 2019

This was the first big holiday movie sixty years ago.  And it opened sixty years ago this month.  The most glorious and lushest of all Biblical epics.  People flocked to see this in theaters in 1959 because you couldn't see that chariot race on an episode of "Wagon Train."

What will be the big draws this holiday season which always begins with some releases around the Thanksgiving week?  Will we be running to see something of the ilk of  "Ben-Hur?"  Dream on, Spunky.  You know the monthly drill, ladies and germs.  I'll wander through the movie pages of the LA Times and give you my gut reaction to the newest releases.

Just so you know.  I am guessing the best things to see this week will be whatever is on TCM.  Or in your DVD collection.   Hey, it might even be Charlton Heston and company.

Harriet:  It ain't a movie with Ozzie, Ricky, and David.

The Good Liar:  Anybody in Washington these days.

Jo Jo Rabbit:  I hear good things about this irreverent comedy.  Once I see it, blog review will follow.

Marriage Story:  Read the fine print on the poster.   It's on Netflix in two weeks.

The Irishman:  See "Marriage Story."   Plus I heard it's like ten days long.

Parasite:  Recently reviewed here.   A Hitchcock movie from Korea.

Honey Boy:  Shia LaBoeuf stars in this, so expect somebody to get sucker punched.

The Report:  Read the fine print on the poster.  You can also watch this on Amazon Prime.

Waves:  An African-American family in the suburbs endures a tragic loss.  Okay, you got me.  I'll skip it.

Ford V Ferrari:   The trailer looked dull and I have virtually zero interest in anything automotive.

Last Christmas:   George Michael's song turns into a rom com.  Good that he's not alive to hear that.

The Lighthouse:  One of those titles that screams..."this movie is dull."

Charlie's Angels:  I'm still trying to figure out what happened to Kate Jackson.

Doctor Sleep:   It's never good to put the word "sleep" into the title of your movie.

Joker:  Reviewed here recently.   A slow, slow, slow character study.   Did I say it was slow?

Terminator - Dark Fate:  Maybe it was better off having Arnold as Governor.

Midway:  If my dad was alive, he would take me to this movie.  But he's not.

Age Out:  A foster child turns to crime.  Don't they all?

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood:  A friend of mine is convinced Mister Rogers was a creepy pedophile.  I don't think you will see that in this film.

Dark Waters:  Mark Ruffalo as a lawyer vs. a large chemical company.  Paging Jacoby and Meyers.

Frozen II:  I hated the first one so this sequel can go ahead and melt.

21 Bridges:  A detective looks for a NYPD cop killer.  With DeBlasio as mayor, he'll be busy for years.

3022:  I still haven't seen 2001.

The Courier:  A female motorcycle messenger fights a crime boss.  BTW, I miss the Sopranos.

Mickey and the Bear:  A teenager cares for her veteran dad who has a substance abuse problem.  Ah, a musical.

Hala:  A Chicago teen deals with her strict Muslim upbringing.   Hope she doesn't live on the South Side.

Dinner last night:  Salad.




No comments: