Thursday, June 20, 2024

St. Elmo's Ashes

 

Sometimes I amaze my self by the documentaries I will be drawn to.   At the same time, I'm equally amazed by how some documentaries even get made.

That would be the case on both counts of the new doc "Brats" which you can find...if you dare...on Hulu.  Yes, I watched it and I still don't know why.   Sure, I watched all those "brat pack" movies in the 80s.  Was I a huge fan?  Not really.  I'm guessing I went to see them just to keep up with the crowd.   I was the target demo at the time.

So now, former "brat packer" Andrew McCarthy has filmed a documentary largely because he's still offended by the term "brat pack" if that makes any sense at all.   Apparently, the phrase was coined by a New York magazine writer in 1985.   McCarthy still finds it demeaning and now the pity party starts all over again.

McCarthy takes his camera and tracks down his former co-stars to see if they're all equally pissed.   Most are smart and have moved on.  But not Andrew.   He loves a good whine.

That, my readers, is the summation of 93 minutes of "Brats." By the end of the first 15 minutes, you want to punch the director in the face.  You continue to watch and see if he ever grows a pair.  PS, he doesn't.

Now if you want to take some time and see what Demi Moore and Ally Sheedy look like today, this is the movie for you.  Other than that, go rewind the VHS you have of "Pretty in Pink."

LEN'S RATING:  One-and-a-half stars.

Dinner last night:  Salisbury steak.

No comments: