Thursday, June 13, 2024

The Kindness of a Stranger


Every once in a blue moon, life surprises you in a good way.   And, in the heart of New York City,. for Pete's sake.

I was in town for ten days.   I had some events to attend, but also I wanted to do some normal things even though my last knee replacement surgery left me much less than normal.

The quest for normalcy took me to a Broadway theater night with a good friend. Now she has endured this before.   When I got to the theater with limited mobility, the theater, the parking garage, and the restaurant all have to be within one city block.   And we managed that.  Even though I had to cross Times Square in the middle of a tourist evening.   I was convinced somebody dressed as Minnie Mouse would upend my cane and knock me to the pavement.

So, everything went smoothly and we returned to the parking garage post-show.  This place was a challenge on its own as the only way down to the garage was via a steep ramp.  Not a great place for somebody on a cane.

When we got to the bottom, we realized a lot of shows had just let out.  The cashier's line was about fifty deep.   The line for the valet parking was about 30 deep.  I audibly moaned.

A few minutes later, a parking attendant walked by and looked at the pathetic figure I must have resembled.

"Come with me."

At that, he took us into a private room where I was allowed to pay for my parking.  Five minutes later, the valet showed up with our vehicle.

Did I look that pathetic?   Oh, who cares?

Think about it.   Would you ever expect to see such kindness in the middle of Manhattan?  Mankind, I might have you all wrong.

Dinner last night:  Baby back ribs.

No comments: