Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Just How Old Am I?

 

It's the reliable joke.   Walk through any assisted living place and you'll hear two things coming out of each room's TV..."Wheel of Fortune" and the Andy Griffith-starring "Matlock."   Indeed, while not in a facility, both of my parents got hooked on these shows in their later years.

So, in the true spirit that every TV show can be rebooted, "Matlock" now has its renewed time in the sun.   This time, it's Kathy Bates in the title role as it is now standard for genders to be flipped.  Frankly, I was a wee bit curious as I always have liked Kathy Bates' work.   Also, while I was on the Paramount lot over the summer, we saw the crew setting up on the NY street for an exterior scene.

Hmmm.

Then I read that the pilot airing on regular over-the-air CBS got phenomenal ratings.

Hmmm again.

Since it also is running on Paramount Plus, I decided to climb into bed and let "Matlock" on my tablet lure me to sleep.

Except, at the show's end, I was wide awake.  And exhilarated by how good Episode One was.

Oh, this is the old series, but not.   Kathy Bates is channeling Andy Griffith, but not.  It's a standard courtroom drama, but not.

Indeed, the whole concept is turned upside down.   With a twist in the last five minutes that sets up the rest of the series.  Trust me.   I didn't see that coming.  Neither will you.

Okay, Mom and Dad, I'm hooked on the new "Matlock."  Just as you instructed me back in the 90s, don't call me while it's on.

Dinner last night:  Salisbury steak.



No comments: