Thursday, April 12, 2012

Cloudy with a Chance of Misinformation

Now I'm usually not one of those crabs that constantly complain about weather forecasters.   In my opinion, they do the best they can do with the tools they are given, although, frankly, the old veterans like Dr. Frank Field and Carol Reed got it right more often by simply looking out the window.

But, the other day, I had myself a little dalliance with the KCBS Channel 2 morning weather guy, Josh Rubinstein.  As a matter of fact, I helped him out a bit.  Without the use of a doppler device in my bedroom.

During my morning hours of wardrobe coordination for the day, I usually pop on the television news.  If things look fine in the world, I will proceed to leave my apartment for the day.  Hey, don't laugh.  When I woke up and tuned into the news one September morning eleven years ago to find the World Trade Center crumbling, I wasn't so sure about the rest of my day.  But, I digress...

Last Monday, I have the news on and I am waiting for the weather forecast.  This will ultimately decree the type of slacks I will wear.  If it's cool, I'll go for the wool blend.  If it's warmer, I'll opt for the khakis.  See how important this can get?

Nevertheless, I hear the Josh Rubinstein weather tease and I'm now crestfallen.

"Rain for the Dodger home opener tomorrow.  Details after the break."

WHAT??????

My week is about to be ruined.  Now Josh Rubinstein has my full and undivided attention.  The slacks weight decision can wait.

Rubinstein comes back from the commercial and tells us all about some cut-off low heading in from the Pacific.  A trough or something or other.  The bottom line is that it will get wet.  And it's showing up on Tuesday.

SHIT!!!

Except the timing we hear from Josh is all about rain starting in the late evening of Tuesday.  If the Dodger game goes into extra innings, uh oh.  On-screen graphics show me the pain.

The only problem is that the slide talks about the Dodger home opener starting at 710PM.

WHOA!!!!

This guy is killing us all with his gloom and he's got the game time wrong.  What about those Dodger fans who weren't paying attention?  They're on their roofs waiting to jump right now.  And how many more lives will end a half hour from now when Rubinstein gives out the same wrong information all over again?

I noted Josh's on-screen e-mail and Twitter address.  I need to stop this hysteria myself.  I popped on my computer and wrote him.  Yo, Dude, check the start time of the Dodger game on Tuesday.  It's six hours earlier.

In the time I took my shower, Josh had answered me.  Yes, I was correct.  They would be fixing the information for the next weather break.  How many Dodger fan lives had I myself saved?

Usually, I don't listen to Rubinstein's next weather break, but I decided to make an exception this morning.  Perhaps I would be thanked for the correction.  A nice 545AM shout out.  I started to fret.  Had I missed a golden opportunity to promote this blog to the Los Angeles metropolitan viewing audience?

Rubinstein came on again and started to yak up the Tuesday rain.  It was coming.  It was real.  Los Angeles is going on storm watch. 

And?

"Like I told you before, the rain should be here later and not affect the Dodger home opener...."

WHAT????

You didn't say that in the least.  Are you assuming no one watches you more than once in a given morning?  How hard would it be to say you had emended info?  And you didn't have to mention me by name?  "A concerned Dodger season ticket holder" would have sufficed.

So now I'm conflicted all over again.  How do I continue my life when weather people, already challenged to get meteorological forecasts correct, won't even admit they're wrong about really simple stuff???

Life gets even more complicated now for all of us.

Dinner last night:  Pork chops, rice, and mixed vegetables.

No comments: