Friday, May 18, 2018

Your Weekend Movie Guide for May 2018

Crapola.   I can't believe "The Odd Couple" was playing at the Radio City Music Hall fifty years ago this month.   Meanwhile, if I read my history right, this was the movie that played the most weeks at that hallowed and missed movie palace.   

So what's going on in May 2018?  What movies will we be recalling in May 2068?   Will there even be movies then?   If the latter is the case, it will luckily spare us from the next comedy by Adam Sandler or Amy Schumer.   You know the monthly routine, gang.   I'll drift through the LA Times movie pages and give you my gut reaction to the junk polluting our theaters right now.  

Most of the following you won't remember a month from now, let alone a half-century away.

Avengers - Infinity War:   I might be the only one in the universe who hasn't run to see this.   And I'm kind of proud of that.

RBG:  NFW.   Those of you up on your abbreviations will get that joke.  Wait...this is about Ruth Bader Ginsburg???  Isn't she dead yet???

The Seagull:  Sounds like a college assignment.  Pass.

Beast:   No Beauty?

Disobedience:   One of the many charges Democrats are looking to nail Trump with.

Tully:   I can't wait to see how he lands the plane...oh, wait, never mind.

The Rider:  Something about a rodeo rider.   Yee-ha.

A Quiet Place:  Blog review coming.   Spoiler alert:  I recommend it.

Isle of Dogs:   One of those strange animation things that remind me of the old Davey and Goliath TV show.

Book Club:   If you're an actress over 75 and your agents didn't get you a part in this, fire them.

Pope Francis - A Man of His Word:   I think this is a documentary.   If not, I hope it's not Amy Schumer in the real world.

I Feel Pretty:  Speaking of Amy.  Try to find a guy in the audience.  I dare you.

Deadpool 2:  That's funny.   I thought they were up to Deadpool 4 already. There's a new one every week and I lose track.

Welcome to the Men's Group:  Probably the exact same script as Book Club except it's all men and they are younger.

Show Dogs:  A detective and his dog go undercover.  I was never allowed to let my dog get under the covers with me.   I'm just saying.

On Chesil Beach:   It's Saoirse Ronan again in some sort of romance.   Doesn't one of these come out every week, too?

First Reformed:  Ethan Hawke as a pastor with a declining congregation. That's like virtually every Protestant church in America.

Filmworker:  A documentary about working with legendary director Stanley Kubrick on a week when his restored...

2001: A Space Odyssey: is released to theaters again.   And I must admit that I have never seen it.    Maybe this go-round.

Dark Crimes:   Jim Carrey as a police officer.   Maybe he can investigate what happened to his career.

Always at the Carlyle:  A documentary about the NY hotel.

Angels Wear White:  Wait!  The Bowery Boys are back??

Carter and June:  A heist comedy involving evangelists, politicians, and mobsters.   So, essentially the Republican and Democratic Parties.

Cargo:  About post-pandemic Australia.  I missed the one about pre-pandemic Australia.

Dinner last night:  Salad.

No comments: