Friday, July 20, 2018

Your Weekend Movie Guide for July 2018

Hmmm.

I am going to do a separate blog on this movie shortly.   It is one of the seminal memories of my childhood.  As I have seen it many times since (most recently two weeks ago), I am thrown by the fact that this ad clearly shows it originally played Radio City Music Hall, which was known for its family-friendly fare. Anybody who knows the content of this film....well, somebody at Radio City Music Hall was clearly asleep at the switch.

Also asleep at the switch are the folks who let out this weekend's crop of current movies at the multiplexes.   You know the monthly drill, sports fans.  I will scan the movie pages of the LA Times and give you my knee jerk gut reaction to all the nonsense out there.  

Indeed, when you think about the current fare, "A Summer Place" is pretty darn tame.  And a whole lot more fun.

Incredibles 2:  I will skip because Incredibles 1 was...well...less than Incredible.

Sicario - Day of the Soldado:  Didn't Sicario come in second for the Belmont?

Ant-Man and the Wasp:  There's a ridiculous Marvel comic movie released every day.

Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot:   Isn't this what the Democrats think about Trump?

Jurassic World - Fallen Kingdom: Reviewed here the other day.  Probably the most interesting action movie this summer that doesn't feature a Marvel super hero.

Eighth Grade:  Hope it was better than mine.

Won't You Be My Neighbor?:  Reviewed here recently.  A fascinating look at a guy I knew little about.

Three Identical Strangers:  A documentary about a real time Parent Trap, this time with triplets.

Leave No Trace:  So far, the Democrats have discovered that Trump has done just that.

RBG:   A documentary about Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who I think was pronounced dead five years ago.

A Midsummer Night's Dream:  Book report due?

Gauguin - Voyage to Tahiti:  Art project due?

Whitney:   A documentary about the bitch who drowned in her bathtub on my birthday.

American Animals:  A heist movie.  Very similar to what the box office does with your money these days.

Damascus Cover:  People looking for weapons of mass destruction.  Still?

The Equalizer 2:  Have I mentioned here how much I despise Denzel Washington?  Don't fall for all the philanthropy.   The guy is a scumbag.  I have heard stories.

Broken Star:   An actress trapped in a duplex.   How stupid are you when you can't find a front door?

Heels:   Trying to save their gay father's BBQ restaurant, two brothers join the wrestling circuit.   Now with GLOW, everybody's getting into the ring.

Blindspotting:  Oakland men witness a police shooting.  Up there, that could happen every hour on the hour.

Mamma Mia - Here We Go Again:  Literally.  The trailers tell me they are using the exact same music for the sequel.   What's a synonym for "rip off" in Sweden?

Unfriended - Dark Web:  I am unfollowing.

Pin Cushion:  You wouldn't want to sit on one.

Araby:  Paging the Sheik.

Love, Cecil:  A documentary on designer Cecil Beaton.   Find a straight person in the audience.  I dare you.

Larger than Life - The Kevyn Aucoin Story:  A documentary about the make-up artist.  See reference for Love, Cecil.

Citizen Clark - A Life of Principle:  A documentary about former Attorney General Ramsey Clark.  Yawn.

Dinner last night:  Sandwich.

No comments: