Thursday, August 24, 2023

How Low Can You Go?

 

What the hell is this photo, Len?   Hold on.   All will be revealed.

But, first, I must make an announcement.  For some reason, at this stage in my life with one bad knee and one bionic one, I have come to consider all the options offered to me as somebody with a ADA-approved blue placard.  And, if there is one area that I have become active in, it's the empowerment of those people with limited mobility.

Trust me.  I never thought I would become an activist for any cause.   But I guess this is my lot in life moving forward.

So I have pushed the Los Angeles Dodgers about the lack of handrails in the field and loge levels, thereby making some longtime season ticket holders struggle down the stairs and aisle to their seats.

I have argued with the Hollywood Bowl where there is enough ADA parking for about forty cars.  PS, the Bowl attendance capacity is over 15,000.  

And, if you have had the gall to park in a handicapped spot without a blue placard, you have gotten a nasty note from me on your windshield.

But, now, I have a new cause celebre in this area and I have just noticed it in the last two months as I have visited several doctors' offices.

Why the fuck are chairs so low in their reception areas?  I mean, 75 percent of the people going to these offices are probably 70 and older.   With my bad knees, I have trouble getting up from these low chairs.  How bad is it for others?

Oh, don't get me wrong.  The reception areas all look nice.  But every single one has chairs that are way too low and a struggle for some people.  Take, for instance, the photo at the top which I copied from a website that featured "the best medical reception area chairs."  

Whoa.   That chair looks very similar to the one in my ortho surgeon's office.  It may look comfy, but it's a deathtrap for some folks including moi.

One more thing I am adding to my list as an ADA activist.

Dinner last night:  Grilled Taylor ham.  

No comments: