Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Take a Stick and Kill It

Now don't get me wrong.   I have nothing against TV shows being rebooted.  I enjoyed the pre-tweet edition of "Roseanne."  I liked the post-tweet edition of "Roseanne."   For sentimental reasons, I did feel a certain fondness for the 2018 version of "Murphy Brown," even though it went way over the top in political preaching.   Despite that, I hope CBS has the smartness to give it another season.

But, frankly, a new version of an old sitcom I could do without is "Will and Grace."  Oddly enough, it's already been renewed for a third season.   With NBC getting all the money from the revival, it's a cheap date for sure.

This is one that should have been left in the graveyard to rot.

Oh, I liked the show during its first incarnation.  Correction.   I liked the show during the first five seasons of its first incarnation.  Then, as with most TV sitcoms shepherded by the grossly overrated James Burrows, subtle acting gets thrown out the window.   Mugging replaces wise acting choices and the show falls apart faster than your polyester suit in 1985.   Indeed, laziness set in and the last seasons of the first incarnation were an unfunny embarrassment.  

Years later and apparently the four principal actors have nothing better to do.  So, somebody got the brain-dead notion to give us an update on these characters who I grew to hate over the first nine seasons.   Again, a major part of the W/G reboot was a response to the Donald Trump presidency, which allegedly wants to kill all homosexuals and women.   Whatever.   

Back the show comes and I do tape it.   And I wonder why about four episodes later.   Now I'm actually longing for the non-humor the first version had in its final installments.   If the show and the acting could get any worse, it certainly did.   With James Burrows back as director and literally stealing a paycheck on a weekly basis, the four principal actors are just shamelessly prancing around and uttering the most obvious jokes ever written.   

Why, oh, why???  These thirty minutes could very well be given to something else.

This reboot needs to be...well...booted.   Shame on everyone associated to this non-laugh fest.

Dinner last night:  Leftover lasagna.


No comments: