Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Entertainment Weakly

My subscription to "Entertainment Weekly" is up for renewal.   I hold the invoice in my hand and wonder out loud.  Again.

Why the hell do I keep getting a magazine that I now flip through in five minutes?   I look at my grocery check out bill longer.

I was a charter member of the publication when it came out in 1990.   I devoured all the movie reviews and TV articles.   I felt like such an insider.   It would take me two hours to read it cover to cover.

About fifteen years ago, it all changed.  Or maybe I did.  There would be stories about shows and movies I had no interest in seeing.   There were focuses on media marvels that I knew nothing about.  Yet, I kept on renewing my subscription.  I was essentially keeping around my wife mainly because she could make a mean dish of sausage, peppers, and onions.

Well, "Entertainment Weekly" stopped doing even that.   Over the last decade, the print and typeface varies in an effort to look hip and trendy.   Except I can't read them even with my reading glasses.   When the actual process of reading becomes a chore, you essentially stop...wait for it...reading.

Over the last six months, every weekly edition seems to be dedicated to a topic I care little about.  An entire magazine devoted to "Game of Thrones."  Never watched it.   An entire week about the last season of "Veep."  Never watched it and doesn't all of America know how much of a bitch Julia Louis-Dreyfus is?

Last week was the tipping point.  Everything you wanted to know about the upcoming "Avengers: Endgame."   Except I don't want to know about it.

Partner this all with stories about reality TV celebrities and music reviews of records I have never heard of and you arrive at the disconnect point I'm at.  

I was going to fall out of EW's target demo sooner or later.   But, indeed, I didn't fall.  I was pushed.  

Why, oh, why am I still thinking about this?  I stopped subscribing to all magazines except "Consumer Reports" for some time.   Why am I holding onto EW?   I mean, it's not like I'm friends with the head of circulation or something.

Will I be able to cut the cord?  Or, next year at this time, will I be writing the same article on this blog?

Stay tuned.

Dinner last night:  Dodger Dog at the game.


No comments: