Thursday, May 9, 2019

My New School

And I am learning so much.

Regular readers will know that I have really immersed myself into the hobby of cooking over the past few years.  So relaxing and serving my creative side.  As I have stated ad nauseum, I owe a lot of my knowledge to watching/trolling Valerie Bertinelli, who has developed a new cottage industry as a Food Network chef.  I truly would die to be her sous chef for a day.

But, I must admit that my teacher these days is not just Valerie.  Nope.  I have stumbled onto a PBS cooking show that has totally expanded my horizons in the kitchen.  With teacher/cooks Bridget and Julia and the rest of the staff at "America's Test Kitchen," I feel like I am now headed for a master's degree in the culinary arts.

"America's Test Kitchen" and its predecessor "Cook's Country" have apparently been around for years.   I see the former lists this current slate of shows as Season 18.  Huh???  Where the hell have I been?  Nevertheless, I can't get enough of it and my DVR queue is saturated with episodes right now.  I even bought their comprehensive cookbook that is over 400 pages and I have barely cracked it.

"America's Test Kitchen" is furthering my cooking education because it views the art of making food as a science.   It's as if Mr. Wizard put on an apron.  The show has taught me some tricks about what ingredients do what to other ingredients, either enhancing a flavor or destroying it.  For instance, who knew about the magical wonder of baking soda when it combines with beef??  

Each 30 minute episode usually involves the making of two different dishes. But, the middle section of each episode includes a test of ingredients or utensils.  You learn which product in the market or pantry works best and what is a waste of money.  Everything from parchment paper to apple cider vinegar to inexpensive dutch ovens.  This is truly a program for the serious cook.

And that would be me.  As I include my monthly recipes on this blog, don't be surprised to find something that I have concocted courtesy of "America's Test Kitchen."

Mangia.

Dinner last night:  Chopped salad with bacon.

No comments: