Friday, May 17, 2019

Your Weekend Movie Guide for May 2019

This photo is probably over forty years old but it brings tears to my eyes.   This was one of my home town movie theaters...Loews...reduced to rocks and gravel.   The memories I got seeing films in this palace with my parents stay with me to this day.   This is when movies made memories.

Not so today.  I can barely recall anything I have seen this year.   But we are headed into the summer of 2019 so, perhaps, there will be something to see soon.  Or not.  You know the monthly drill, gang.  I'll sift through the movie pages of the LA Times and give you my gut reaction to what is polluting our multiplexes right now.   

Trust me.  There will be even more weeping.

Avengers - Endgame:  For me, the game never started.

The Hustle:  Van McCoy?

Amazing Grace:  Rare footage of Aretha Franklin performing in a church.  Much easier to watch than those endless photos of her lying in a coffin.

Poms:  Diane Keaton tries to re-channel "Book Club" with a bargain basement cast.

Long Shot:  Any of the 20 or so Democratic candidates for President?

Tolkien:  If I didn't see any of the Lord of the Rings movies, I'm not going to see a biography about the guy who wrote the books.

The White Crow:  The story of dancer Rudolf Nureyev's defection to the West.  Collusion!!

All Is True:  A look at the final days in the life of renowned playwright William Shakespeare.  Luckily, I don't have a book report due.

The Biggest Little Farm:  Documentarian John Chester and his wife Molly work to develop a sustainable farm on 200 acres outside of Los Angeles.  Well, that's one way to avoid the homeless problem in the city.

Pokemon Detective Pikachu:   Do you know me at all?

Ugly Dolls:  Seriously, do you know me at all??

Shazam:  Jim Nabors' last movie?

Ask Dr. Ruth:  I am actually interested in this documentary on the famed sex therapist/dwarf.  But it runs on Hulu next month so save your dollars until then.

The Intruder:  Dennis Quaid is some creepy guy trying to keep a young couple out of the house he just sold them.  So, essentially, a Twilight Zone episode airing on HGTV.

Wine Country:  Three scary words.  Amy Poehler directs.

John Wick - Chapter 3:  There were two other chapters already??

All Creatures Here Below:  A desperate young couple on the run seek refuge in Kansas City.  Probably from movies like this.

A Dog's Journey:  A pooch impacts the lives of several humans.  The busy Dennis Quaid is in the cast.  I wonder if he's the one who falls down the well.  Oh, wait, that's an episode of Lassie.

The Souvenir:  A young film student in the early 80s becomes romantically involved with a complicated and untrustworthy man.  I guess the souvenir is what comes out nine months later.

Ask For Jane:  A group of determined Midwestern women begin providing safe but illegal abortions in this 1960s period drama based on a true story.  I guess Jane is the one with the scalpel.

Shed of the Dead:  Sometimes you can tell just by the title.

Perfect:  An emotionally troubled young man enters a clinic.   If it's the one where you ask for Jane, he's more troubled than he things.

A Violent Separation:  Two brothers struggle with a terrible truth behind a tragedy that aims to tear three generations of a family apart.  Well, that's one way to ruin a Memorial Day barbecue.

Trial By Fire:  The tragic and controversial story of Cameron Todd Willingham, who was executed in Texas for killing his three children after scientific evidence and expert testimony that bolstered his claims of innocence were suppressed.  Ah, so a romantic comedy?

The Meanest Man in Texas:  I have no clue who that is, but the dumbest one has to be that Beto guy.

Dinner last night:  Caesar salad.




No comments: