Thursday, August 8, 2019

GMBA

When you work at home like I do, you often use the TV as background noise.  It can provide the illusion that you work in an office.

My morning ritual is the same every day.  In an effort to keep abreast of the latest pop culture, I try to watch the first fifteen minutes of "Live With Kelly and Ryan."  By the way, that show is only allegedly live about 66% of the time.  A lot of episodes are taped in advance of the actual live day.

But I digress...

In advance of my fifteen minutes with Ripa and Seacrest, I turn the TV on and have breakfast on the same ABC channel.  I take in the 8AM-9AM hour of GMA...Good Morning America.  This has been my pattern for about two years now, so there is sufficient sample size for me to make judgments.

At this juncture, I can announce that GMA should be re-branded GMBA.

Good Morning Black America.   Because the show is as biased as they come.  

Now the second hour of the show is not the hard news edition.   That probably gets covered at 7AM by Snow White's eighth dwarf, George Stephanopoulos.  The 8AM hour is more about what TV shows and movies are coming out.  Plus lots and lots of heart-tugging human interest stories.

Train.  Off.  The.  Tracks.

First off, the shows and movies usually promoted to vomit level proportions are on ABC.   Or produced by Disney.  Or both.  

But it is the human interest stories that really nag me.   There are spotlights on local heroes.   Home repairs and makeovers for those who have been damaged by natural disasters.  Monetary gifts for folks down on their luck.

99% of the time, the subject person is Black.   And the host of the segment is either Michael Strahan, who speaks like a fifth grader, or the marketing hat trick of Robin Roberts.   Not only is she Black, but she's also gay and a woman and...wowie....even a cancer survivor.  With those credentials, I'm surprised we don't find her in paintings of the Last Supper, seated adjacent to Jesus Christ himself.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying these human interest stories should be accorded to White people.  But, certainly, there are also deserving recipients that are Hispanic or Asian or whatever other derivation you can come up with.  

This is diversity on steroids and hardly fair at all.   Watch the show over an extended period of time.   Tell me if I am wrong.

Then the bias is often amplified usually by Miss Robin during her participation in said stories.   Look no farther than the...ahem...white-washed interview she did with race crime hoaxster Jesse Smollett.   Robin, equipped with barely a 15 watt brain, didn't bat an eyelash at stuff we now know is a downright lie.

When do we pull the flush lever?   Um, too late, folks.

As for moi, I need to find a better lead-in to "Sometimes Live with Kelly and Ryan."

Dinner last night:  Chopped broccoli salad.


No comments: