Thursday, April 1, 2021

 

When I was a kid, Disney used to put out all these live action family movies.  Wholesome, good-natured.   Mom and Dad grappling with some kids and maybe a pet or two.   Dean Jones was the father.

"Yes Day" reminds me of those movies from my childhood.   Except I remember liking them.   This one...well, the answer is not yes.

I can't wait for movie theaters to reopen so as I don't find myself wandering around some streaming service for the slightest bit of enticement to a film.  I stumbled across "Yes Day" on Nutflix and saw that Jennifer Garner was in it.   Apparently, that was enough for desperate moi.

Of course, we are in diverse 2021, so the family here is Hispanic save for Ms. Garner.   Dad is a bit of a lummox who works for a drone company.   The kids are suitably spoiled, yet still pissed off because their mother always seems to say "no" when they ask her about something.  It gets so bad that the young boy in the family makes a movie about how rotten Mom is and shows it to his guidance counselor.   Normally, that would be a red flag for Social Services.   But, in this bizarr-o world, it's just the impetus for Mom to commit to the word "yes" for a day.  Given the Hispanic roots, I am actually surprised the film wasn't entitled "Si Dia."

So what follows is a series of misadventures.   Like a paintball game in the living room.   Or Dad climbing a tree to return a baby bird to its nest.   Or Mom and teenage daughter going to a Coachella-like concert that looked more like an Osmonds TV special.   Ultimately, none of this was the least bit interesting or heart warming or even coherent.  While looking for the photo above, I saw an internet article with the heading " The End of Yes Day Explained."   Heck, all anybody had to tell me was that the movie was finally over.   No explanation needed.

After a year of misguided movie entertainment while stuck at home, I can safely say that "Yes Day" hit the very bottom of a bottomless pit.   I was almost compelled to meander over to Disney Plus and see if I could watch "The Ugly Dachshund" or "Herbie Rides Again."

Yep, movie theaters can't open soon enough.   

LEN'S RATING:  One star.

Dinner last night:  It was Charity Day at Jersey Mike's so I contributed by getting an Italian hero.

   

No comments: