Thursday, April 22, 2021

Your Winning Oscar Ballot - Part 2


I know, I know.   Regardless of the age, nobody gives a damn about this year's Oscars.  I mean, if the Academy doesn't care.   They're making the nominees sit in the parking lot at the Union Station.

And, yes, I realize there are no office pools.   But if you're the oddball who found one to participate in, the following predictions are for you.   I sweated the small stuff on Tuesday.   Here's the big shit.

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:  This almost always goes to the film with the best director, so don't read ahead.   Now, I thought "News of the World" was wonderfully shot.  But, there's that director tie-in.   Despite the fact that it was an advertisement for RVs, the winner is NOMADLAND.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:  I'm only going on what I have heard, but there is good buzz about this one.  I will have to catch up with it.  Or sleep through it.  The winner is PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:  Here's where we really start to get into message awards.   You know.   They're dying to hear the winner bloviate about the world's problems.  Yada, yada, yada.  The winner is DANIEL KALUUYA for JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:  I want to see "Minari" and I heard her performance is top notch.   But her award is solidified by all the recent violence against Asian-Americans.  The winner is YUH-JUNG YOUN for MINARI.

BEST ACTOR:  I am sorry for the other four nominees in this category.   I mean, you're up against some who is Black and also died of colon cancer.  Try again next year.  The winner is CHADWICK BOSEMAN for MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM.

BEST ACTRESS:  I am hearing this is the only category that is a competition.   It's between Viola Davis and Carey Mulligan.  Now you would think that Viola is unbeatable based on skin tone.  But, is it possible that the Oscars would award all four acting awards to diversity.  The winner is CAREY MULLIGAN for PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN.

BEST DIRECTOR:  She's a woman.  She's Asian.  She's an automatic.  The winner is CHLOE ZHAO for NOMADLAND....

BEST PICTURE:  ...which was a movie I found depressing and dull and tough to look at.  Much like everybody's 2020.  The winner is NOMADLAND.

Like I said, nobody cares.

Dinner last night:  Antipasto salad.

No comments: