Friday, December 21, 2007

The Worst Christmas Song Ever!!

As somebody who has actually spent two different Christmases watching my parents' ultimately fatal illnesses play out against a backdrop of merriment, why would you want to infuse a joyful holiday with such incredible sadness? But, that's just what the song "The Christmas Shoes" does.

This piece of dreck has been around for about 10 years, and allegedly was a big hit on the country charts when it first came out. It's all about some poor little boy who wants to buy some new shoes on Christmas Eve because his mom is on her deathbed. There's no Christmas miracle at the end of the song. I'm guessing Mommy checks out as predicted. Off to meet Jesus wearing some Payless specials. And this little boy's left alone. Merry F-ing Christmas!

I am sure many, many people are forced to endure such sorrow every year around this time. I certainly had my share. I once spent a Christmas Day shuttling between two different hospitals visiting my father and my mother. But, like we all must do, I tried to move forward. Yet, every damn Christmas, this song gets played as a constant reminder. Can we at least appreciate joy for one single moment without thinking about dire consequences? The writers of this disaster should go off to meet Jesus themselves. Real soon.

What is even more shocking to me is how the knuckleheads in this country have taken this musical oil spill to their hearts. If you go onto You Tube, you will find endless renditions and videos set to this song. Here's one that cannot be believed. Whoever did it actually went to the trouble of taking a picture of somebody in a hospital bed. Madness! And dig the shoes they include. Anybody showing up at the pearly gates with those should be dropkicked right out of Heaven. My mother wouldn't be caught dead wearing those. And she wasn't.


Come on, folks. It's okay to smile. Even if it's only for one day.

Dinner last night: Italian soup.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everybody should throw shoes at the jerks who wrote the song. Include high heels and work boots. Aim for the head.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what the person who wrote this was trying to accomplish. This song is truly awful; happily, the all-Christmas stations I've heard haven't been playing it.

And a Merry Christmas, Len.

Len said...

It still shows up here everyonce in a while, but perhaps radio programmers have bought into some Q-tips.

And Happy Holiday right back at ya, Puck.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Len.

Len said...

Right back at ya. I will touch base with you to see if we can hook up.