Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Social Network


Fellow blogger and Dodger Talk co-host/co-hort Ken Levine recently posted a review of "The Social Network." The film's screenwriter, Aaron Sorkin, ended up posting a comment on Ken's blog. This wound up creating some sort of viral thread, which even got mentioned on CNN.

Good for you, Ken.

I saw the movie, but I hold no such expectations. I doubt Aaron will find his way here. Unless, of course, he likes to Google his name. In that case....

Aaron Sorkin, Aaron Sorkin, Aaron Sorkin, Aaron Sorkin, Aaron Sorkin.

Trust me. He'll have nothing to say here. But, I may get a comment from the girl at the Arclight Cinema concession stand. I complimented her for putting just the right amount of ice in my large Diet Coke.

Aaron Sorkin, Aaron Sorkin, Aaron Sorkin, Aaron Sorkin, Aaron Sorkin.

That's just in case he Googled himself again.

And while we're on his subject, I'm one of those strange birds who never watched Aaron's work on TV's "The West Wing."  When it comes to overly dramatic hijinks in Washington, I prefer to watch the news and enjoy the real thing.  But, I was one of the perilous few who enjoyed his "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," and I apologize, Aaron, for missing that one episode and thereby cutting the show's weekly rating in half.

I do know that a hallmark of Sorkin's writing is that fast and clippy dialogue with a character barely listening to another character before crafting another fast and clippy response.  In "The Social Network," that style makes a natural connection to the cast largely populated by depictions of the real life players involved in the creation of Facebook.  None of those folks seemed to listen to one another either.

The end result is you have a movie that is impossible to ignore.  Captivating and educational at every turn.  Frankly, I knew little of the backstory here, save for the fact that a couple of Harvard geeks started it.  And, from what I have read since, the tale told in the film is allegedly stretched for authenticity.  The film's principal characters are already saying that they're not exactly as self-centered and arrogant as they are depicted.

Yeah, my guess is that they're a lot worse.  These people are so despicable they could all run for Congress.  After spending two hours with this bunch, you'll want to thank the Lord for the friends you have. 

And immediately go home to erase your computer of any vestiges of Facebook.  It makes you feel that dirty and used.

The whole concept of a "social network" was allegedly started by some Harvard hyper-jerk named Mark Zuckerberg.  He get dumped by his girlfriend and starts some vile on-line diss which goes viral at the school.  And you thought all those kids were doing nothing but reading the National Lampoon?  Anyway, I'm reading that this deplorable act may not have happened in just this manner, but I bought it anyway.  I immediately thought of two girls I would have willingly done the same thing to if I could only get my computer skills past a basic EXCEL level.

Nevertheless, Zuckerberg strikes a nerve and the social network begins.  How much of its success can be attributed to him solely or his best friend, Eduardo Saverin?  How much of it did he steal from two other Harvard pinheads, the Winklevoss twins?  And, how can I still use that deliciously funny name in one of my scripts?  I wouldn't dare as this crowd is quite the litigious bunch.  Probably two-thirds of the movie is spent in legal offices and hearings that frequently spell leg-numbing disaster for an audience.  Yet, somehow and some way, Sorkin makes it all fascinating.   It's sort of like watching Senate hearings if they were presided over by Noel Coward.

As wonderful as the script and the acting, particularly the likely-Oscar-nominated Jesse Eisenberg, is, you leave the theater depressed.  Because you realize that you've also been sucked into the social networking phenomenon.  It may have started as a way for college students to shit on each other, but, now, it's become a major connective force for adults to engineer their lives around.   One more chance to hide behind a computer screen.  Another reason not to make personal and human contact. 

I regret to say that I'm on Facebook myself.  So far, I've managed to keep it at a low ebb.  It's a terrific on-line birthday reminder.  It's a dandy way to reconnect with old school chums.  At least, those you want to find.  But, then again, who hasn't been bothered by some drones that were better left in Period 6 Chemistry?  Remember me, they gleefully ask.  Sadly, yes.  And don't start me on fully grown adults playing with virtual farm animals.  How about planting some real seeds in a flower pot?  Or is that too much work nowadays?

At the same time, I've discovered that this is now the preferred form of communication.  Sadly, I've learned about friends' engagements, marriages, divorces, career changes, illnesses, and deaths on Facebook.  Hello?  Where was my phone call?  Don't tell me you kept getting a busy signal.  I have all the updated conveniences of the 90s like Voicemail and Call Forwarding. 

On Facebook, I'll look at the idiotic pictures and comments that you forgot to edit or censor before you put them for the universe to see and laugh at.  But I rarely poke or nudge or accept your gifts of hugs or smiles.   I'll take them all willingly the next time we get together.  In person.

But, even in my limited use of the Zuckerberg/Saverin/Winklevoss contraption, I do see one common thread between its creators and the users of Facebook today.  A distinct lack of civility.

If this social network was started for the same nasty reasons that the film depicts, the site's inventors can rest assured that the rest of its users haven't missed a beat.  Particularly with its younger fans.  In those seemingly mandatory wall postings, I've read evidence of homophobia, anti-Semitism, racism, and, perhaps worst of all, a gross misuse of grammar.  F bombs to the left of me.  F bombs to the right of me.  Sure, I've used the word myself.  In this blog.  But only when the word fits the situation.  And not as gratuitously as it's done on Facebook.

Saddest of all?  All of the above can be attributed to people I know.  And, frequently, by those members of the generation that will be ruling the world for the second half of my life.

"The Social Network" is worth seeing.   It's terrific entertainment that stays with you for days.

And, worse, perhaps forever.

Dinner last night:  Leftover chicken and rice.

4 comments:

Bob P said...

I haven't seen it yet but my two adult kids (who are on Facebook regularly) said the same thing about deleting their accounts when they walked out of the film!

To me, Facebook = New Year's Eve parties. If I really want to see you, I'd see you all year long and not just on December 31.

Len said...

And PS, Bob P: your two young adult kids are the exceptions when it comes to communicating on FB. Their comments always feature good grammar, little profanity, and a large dose of intelligence. Where did you go wrong?

Anonymous said...

Well, the good FB news is that Djinn from the Bronx has abandoned her farm. Good luck, chickens.

Unknown said...

I enjoyed this entry. If Aaron calls you, and you have lunch, can I come? I will be good, I promise. Funny entry. I also deleted other apps to avoid privacy invasion on FB. I think I dated someone named Winklevoss once.